Honored Contributor

During the construction/painting, Molly's spent her time with her buddies at daycare. She gets picked up at 6 and spends the night at home.

Yesterday she developed a stuffy nose and a weird sound like she was trying to cough up a fur ball. Of course, like children when you get them to the doc, she didn't cough, so they're keeping her for several hours.

We're thinking her beagle "smeller" may be very sensitive to the dust/paint odor. 

Honored Contributor

Re: MOLLY’S AT THE VET

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

She may have contracted kennel cough from doggie day care.

Do you know if the doggie day care requires and verifies that all dogs are immunized for kennel cough?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom   I thought that, too, but all dogs must have a current immunization record in their chart. Kennel cough and rabies vaccines are at the top of the list. 

Honored Contributor

Good! At least that eliminates that. Hopefully it's nothing serious for Molly.

Like you said being a beagle, her super smeller may be sensitive to the dust and paint smells.

Keep us posted!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

Try opening the windows for a time to air things out, if possible.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1   I keep a window or two open all the time and when they leave, before I pick up Molly, I vacuum the areas she's in...mainly to be sure there's no screws, paint drips, etc. she can get into. 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe more windows opened are needed.  Sounds like one of our dogs, who had an allergic reaction to something in the paint. He had symptoms like you describe.

Respected Contributor

@ShanusSad for Molly not feeling her best. Ventilation is always a good thing. If it's bothering her You're in the same boat.   Never say Never about the Kennel Cough though,  Even with vaccination.   Hope her cough eases quickly.

Respected Contributor

It does sound like kennel cough. I hope Molly feels better soon. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@KingstonsMom   I thought that, too, but all dogs must have a current immunization record in their chart. Kennel cough and rabies vaccines are at the top of the list. 

The bordetella vaccine for kennel cough is much like a flu vaccine, only covers a limited number of strains and has limited effectiveness.  For a natural remedy should it be kennel cough i have used honey for the cough.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.