Respected Contributor

My dogs got skunked through a fence, the skunk could have run away, but it was a baby, it got scared, froze, and then sprayed both Scotties in the face.  Long noses and double coats.  I used the same wash strategy my DH used on a kitten who got motor oil on herself. 

#1  DO NOT apply any water-based cleaner or plain water.  Skunk spray is very oily, and water-based cleansing will not remove it without excessive soaping and rinsing.  (Skunk spray is actually the contents of their ****** glands, that's why it smells so bad.  They have evolved this ability as a defense against predators like cougers, who they cannot escape from any other way.  Don't blame the skunk, it's just trying to stay alive.)

#2  Apply an oily compound, ideally a cheap hair conditioner like something you'd buy at the grocery store.  Yes, it is water-based, but there is enough oily material in it that it BINDS to the skunk spray and lifts it off the dog's hair and skin.  SOAK the whole dog with conditioner and rub it in, down to the skin.  If the dog doesn't feel like a greased pig, use more conditioner.  Keep a big bottle or two on hand if you encounter skunks regularly.  The advantage to conditioner is that it does not go bad like hydrogen peroxide does, it can sit for years, unopened, and still work well if needed.

#3  After you have worked the conditioner through the coat thoroughly, THEN rinse with warm water, and follow that with any good dog shampoo.  The usual caveats of avoiding eyes and ears apply, if you get water in the ears let the dog shake it's head, then follow with a good ear cleaner so fungal infections don't get a toe hold in the ears.

If you start with an oily cleanser then use dog shampoo, odds are that you will only need to do it once, no rinse and repeat until the smell is gone, and anyone who has tried to keep a dog in a bathtub knows that the shorter amount of time you have to do that, the better!

Esteemed Contributor

A skunk is able to spray a distance of 10 feet with accuracy. Remarkably, the animal also has the ability to control how much of the mist is sprayed.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Regular Contributor

Oh sorry, funny, not funny, poor Molly.  Kudos for all the different bath cocktails.  My dog got skunked a few years ago and it went in his eye!  Had him at the vet for an appointment already planned and she told me the smell could stay around for awhile and boy it did!  Every time I gave him a kiss on his head the smell was unbelievable lol.  Good luck on your stinky journey,.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

A skunk is able to spray a distance of 10 feet with accuracy. Remarkably, the animal also has the ability to control how much of the mist is sprayed.

They also leave that lovely odor around their den holes.

When we are out exploring our fields, my dog will investigate animal dens and has ended up with some of that skunk smell just from their dens.  It's not nearly as strong as actually being sprayed, but it's definitely not pleasant.

Honored Contributor

We've been lucky; none of our outside dogs have ever been curious enough to get sprayed by a skunk.