Honored Contributor

Chi-Chi got her first LV shot this a.m.   After we got home, I took Chi-Chi for a looooong walk to enjoy this temporary heat wave (50°) we are having.  She was NOT having it.  I had to carry her the majority of the way, so I was the one who took a looooong walk.  5 hrs later, she is still sound asleep.  She is suffering from lethargy & has no appitite = side effect from the shot.  She did not eat her breakfast.   Now I am glad the vet refused to give her tick & flea med because of her size.  Told me get a tick/flea comb since she is short haired. Smiley Tongue

@tends2dogsrecommended this treatment called Wondercide which I ordered from Chewy after doing extensive research.  Will be mentioning this product to the vet when I take Chi-Chi in for her 2nd LV shot in 2 weeks.

She just woke up!!!!!! 

IMG_0181.jpgWill see if she will eat her dinner.  I am going to fix her favorite, kibble w/real chicken pate mixed in.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Poor Chi Chi hopes she feels better soon. A couple of my past chihuahuas had bad reactions to shots. It was always the boys. 

Regular Contributor

Re: 🙁 Lyme Vaccine 🙁

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry that happened.  I have to tell you, I've refused because the first time we tried that vaccination on my mini poodle (12 lbs) and he had a very similar reaction.  The next year they asked "Lyme vaccine?" and I said NO!  My dog isn't overly sensitive to vaccines, either.  That one went on the "no" list for me.

If it's like ours, there is a 2nd shot and I didn't put 2+2 together until the 2nd one.  The 1st one was given during a dental and he had anesthesia so I assumed his lethargy came from that.  Much of it probably was, but after his 2nd shot he was exactly like you described for a few days.

Honored Contributor

P lease be very careful about giving her vaccines, do some research.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@michmi& @goldensrbest 

Unfortunatly, I live in a Lyme disease & West Nile virus town.  I am surrounded by tick infected white tail deer.  More of them than people.  Humans & pets do not need to go into the woods to get "infected."  The deer here are free roaming.  As long as I live in the boonies (Jarassic Park), I have no choice but to get my dog the LV yearly.  I don't go into the woods during spring & summer (deer trails) unless my clothes are sprayed w/DEET.  Come this spring, I will not be taking my dog in deer territory nor anywhere near their feeding grounds. 

The biking trails are miles away from deer territory & the safest trails for pets (dog walking).

The landscape in the community I live in is lyme tick treated as well as treated for the West Nile virus once the weather breaks.  I think the whole town gets the full treatment.  So I am stuck between a rock & a hard place.  I do know, she will not be getting any other vaccines except the yearly rabies shots (law in my state/town).

Chi-Chi is a tad better this evening.  She ate all her food & was a little more active when I took her out to potty.  She did want to go back home afterwards instead of her nightly walk & chasing rabbits.  She is currently in the middle of the living room on the floor taking a snooze.  She NEVER sleeps on the floor.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac 

Glad to hear that Chi-Chi is feeling better.👍  She's a very lucky little pup to have you.❤️

Now that you know she reacts to this vaccine, you can deal with it better.  Make sure she doesn't get any other vaccines around the same time and don't give her any other treatments for a while that may exacerbate any reaction.

It seems like some of the smaller animals get most of the vaccine reactions.    I can't give my cat a rabies vaccine at the same time as his others because the combination is too much for him.  He does just fine with separate injections.

Now, my 100 lb. dog doesn't react to anything!☺️

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac   {{{{Chi-Chi}}}}  ♥️

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

Poor Chi-Chi. I hope she feels better soon. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

UPDATE: 3/4

Chi-Chi is back to her old self.  whew.gif

Ate all of her brunch (she does not do breakfast) after a hike in the woods, chasing wild turkeys in a new clearing I found for her to exert her energy unleashed. 

Respected Contributor

so glad that your chi-chi is doing better.  i had a good laugh over "she doesn't do breakfast".