Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@michmi& @goldensrbest 

Unfortunatly, I live in a Lyme disease & West Nile virus town.  I am surrounded by tick infected white tail deer.  More of them than people.  Humans & pets do not need to go into the woods to get "infected."  The deer here are free roaming.  As long as I live in the boonies (Jarassic Park), I have no choice but to get my dog the LV yearly.  I don't go into the woods during spring & summer (deer trails) unless my clothes are sprayed w/DEET.  Come this spring, I will not be taking my dog in deer territory nor anywhere near their feeding grounds. 

The biking trails are miles away from deer territory & the safest trails for pets (dog walking).

The landscape in the community I live in is lyme tick treated as well as treated for the West Nile virus once the weather breaks.  I think the whole town gets the full treatment.  So I am stuck between a rock & a hard place.  I do know, she will not be getting any other vaccines except the yearly rabies shots (law in my state/town).

Chi-Chi is a tad better this evening.  She ate all her food & was a little more active when I took her out to potty.  She did want to go back home afterwards instead of her nightly walk & chasing rabbits.  She is currently in the middle of the living room on the floor taking a snooze.  She NEVER sleeps on the floor.

Same here in maine, lots of deer,ticks, woods where i live.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

The Appalachian Trail comes through where we live.  We have infected ticks here.

Honored Contributor

Bless her little heart!Smiley Happy  Hope her day (and yours) gets better.

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac  Back in in the olden days when I used to vaccinate my cats yearly,I had one cat that didn't tolerate them very well.He would be lethargic for several days and wouldn't eat/drink. My vet suggested giving him a small part of a Bendryl to counteract the shots.It worked like a charm.I had another kitty with the same problem and also treated him the same way with success. My current gang do not get yearly vaccines so I have no recent experience with it.

I don't know if Bendryl is still an acceptable option but wanted to let you know.You waited so long for your sweet doggie so we always want to do the best for them.

Honored Contributor

@Estates  I will ask the vet about the Bendryl antidote.  My dog will certainly need it for her 2nd lyme shot.  Thank you.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Yeah  me too, I live on Buck Hill! Every day the deer come through my backyard. I keep my dog leashed and only walk her where the deer don't go (that much). We also get the LV and do monthly tick meds and constant checks. She has a very light coat so I can find then usually. The deer ticks are big-

Regular Contributor

I'm glad doggo is feeling better.  Definitely I think smaller dogs often have a reaction like this.  Just make sure it's documented in the chart at the vet and next time bring up the reaction and the behavior to see if there is a way to lessen the impact.  Of course make sure no other vaccine is given at the same time.

Mine has a similar reaction to anesthesia.  This year before I made an appointment with the vet for the dental I had a talk with her about his past lethargy and stomach upset for days after and she wrote it all up in the chart, added Phenergan to his IV and they kept him longer for observation and additional rehydration afterward.  He was only lethargic for 1-1/2 days this time versus the 4-5 day lethargy/upset last time.

Honored Contributor

PART II

Chi-Chi received her 2nd Lyme Vaccine this a.m.  This time I "tricked" her into eating "breakfast" just to have a little bit of food in her stomach.  She's not into breakfast.  She's a "brunch" gal.

After I told the vet her reactions after the 1st shot, he told me to put her to bed as soon as I get home.  Not to take her for any walks.  Keep her in the house for the day.  Only let her out for potty & bring her right back into the house.

I didn't let her walk outside at all.  Carried her to her favorite #1 & 2 potty spots in the pouring rain right after I came back from the vet.  She didn't touch the rest of her so called breakfast.

Arrived back inside the house 1:30p.  I had planned on putting her in her crate to sleep it off.  After I hung up her raincoat, harness & collar,  I found her knocked out in her bed.  She is still knocked out 4 1/2 hrs later in a deep slumber.

IMG_0196.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif