Honored Contributor

I switched vets at the clinic I'd been using.  The owner of the clinic is the one I'm taking my dog to now.

She is comprehensive and practical, and sweetly respectful.  By the latter I mean she addresses email updates to me with my dog's name, my last name, and prefaces it with "Miss" because my dog is female.  So, "Miss Cutie-Pie Smith."  (Which, obviously, is not her or my name, but I  will probably add it to the already-long list of pet names I call her!)

I had also tried another clinic that has great doctors and surgeons but they have no interest in anything natural whatsoever.  You get a blank stare if you mention Co-Q 10 or anything like that.   This clinic is medically sound as well as very open to anything useful that supports healing.

Have you ever felt the need to switch vets?  I know some of you have limited options where you might live, or are at great distances from a vet at all.  I feel lucky I'm in a suburban area where there are plenty of options.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Loving the new vet

[ Edited ]

I'm glad you have found a good vet. Just like a regular doctor, sometimes the good ones are hard to find. There are just 3 or 4 vet clinics in my area, so not a lot of option, but I'm fortunate to have a really good vet clinic where I take my furry kids. My vet is very personable and friendly. She has saved several of my cats over the years. I only wish I could stay with them all night if one of them is hospitalized. It's terrible to be separated. 😿

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely changed vets.  That is why we drive to our vet one hour one way at our southern home and one and a half hours one way to our vet at our northern home.  They are vets that lean to the natural way of doing things.  Alternatives to steroids and antibiotics.  Preventive supplements.  Limited vaccines with remedies given afterwards.  Welcome doing titers.  They listen to us as the pet owner.  Very refreshing.

Glad you found one that you like, too.  It makes all the difference in a vet visit.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

There are many vets in my immediate area that I was not impressed with but I now go to a vet 45 minutes away.  I went to school with one vet who I went to for years but this practice was only interested in raking in money and they were so impersonable.    We have a vacation cottage in the area that I now take my dog to and he is just the best.  I had just adopted a new dog when there and took him to this vet for shots when my vet couldn't see my new dog (who never had shots and was nearly 2) for over a week.  This vet fit me in the next day.  He doesn't rush you in and out and takes the time to get to know the dog.  He is just so personable with the best staff ever that I kept going to him.   

Respected Contributor

I'm in the process of changing vets.  Our Golden has had some ear and paw problems.  The two vets I've tried have put her on antibiotics, Apoquel, Cytopoint, etc., etc.  These meds help the symptoms temporarily, but I don't want our Jessie on these meds the rest of her life, which I'm told she may need.  I made an appt. with a holistic vet for next week.  I also follow Dr. John Robb, ProtectThePets.com, who recommends getting blood titers before revaccinating.  If the animal's titers show immunity, it can be dangerous to revaccinate, and sometimes deadly.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

Our former vet is now our current vet.  The difference is that he now comes to our home instead of our going to an office.  When he left the practice, he joined his wife in a concierge vet service.  When our Darcy became ill and the new vet was not able to treat her, I called our old vet.  It is so nice not to leave home and he doesn't charge any more than an office visit.  He also is very well versed in all types of treatments, which gives me so much confidence in his treatments.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@spent2muchwrote:

I'm in the process of changing vets.  Our Golden has had some ear and paw problems.  The two vets I've tried have put her on antibiotics, Apoquel, Cytopoint, etc., etc.  These meds help the symptoms temporarily, but I don't want our Jessie on these meds the rest of her life, which I'm told she may need.  I made an appt. with a holistic vet for next week.  I also follow Dr. John Robb, ProtectThePets.com, who recommends getting blood titers before revaccinating.  If the animal's titers show immunity, it can be dangerous to revaccinate, and sometimes deadly.

@spent2much  I hope you have as much luck at your holistic vet as I have had.  First, the conventional vet wanted to put our guy on Apoquel, prednisone, and the list goes on, including a "diet" canned dog food.  I told them thank you, but no thank you.  I found a holistic vet and she said that long term on these drugs would shorten his life and make him miserable.  She used homeopathic treatments and got his problems under control without drugs.  He had issues with his ears, skin, etc among a lot of other things.  His skin and ears cleared up one week after putting him on raw.  It has been 3 months now and he has no skin sores.  His elbows were raw before and now new hair is growing in.   He hasn't itched in months.  It is relief for all of us.  I said I would never feed raw, but it has been a miracle for us.  It is easier than the home cooked meals that I was making him.  It might be worth looking into.  It isn't the cheapest way to feed, but those drugs aren't cheap and neither are the vet visits, special food, etc.

I will be interested to hear what his vet offers as far as treatment options.  There are things that can be done for our furbabies and doesn't always have to be a drug.  All the best!

(non smoking here Smiley Wink 

Respected Contributor

I'll let you know how it goes, @tends2dogs .  I have no desire to feed raw, either, but the holistic folks say it's the best thing for them.  I already asked this vet on the phone if she would insist on it and she said no, she wouldn't.  I've been cooking people food for our Golden for several months now.  I have TONS of questions to ask her Wed.  I'm quite excited about the visit!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@spent2much  My vet didn't even suggest raw.  I got talking with one of her assistants who was in the process of switching over.  She didn't hear the conversation, but when we went back 2 months later and she saw the change in Willie,  she was impressed with the improvement.  She had  tried laser and ozone treatments because of all his raw spots from itching, it was the diet change that really brought him around.  I hope that you have just as good of luck as we did.

If you give your dog supplements, take the bottles along with you.  My vet read every label and ok'd some and took him off others.  Also, write out your recipe for the food you are making (be specific), the amounts you feed, and any treats you give.  Your vet may not ask any of these questions, but it is better than having to go back for another visit to give her this info.

Again, all the best at your visit!

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogsThanks for the info.  Yes, I have everything ready to bring to her - everything in her diet and ALL the questions I have. I'll put a reminder in Outlook to keep you posted on how things went.  Smiley Very Happy