Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs  It's a good thing I put a reminder in Outlook to let you know how the vet visit went.  Otherwise, I would have forgotten!

So, it went well.  $$$$$$$$$$ But Jessie is worth it.  The vet looked at my long list of foods I give her and she said, "Wow!  Do you feed your husband this well?"  I said, "Yes, I do."  LOL  She made a few changes in the diet, I asked all my questions, and I feel more at peace with the situation.  It's a situation because my husband doesn't go for this homeopathic stuff.  Hopefully, I can win him over.  Jessie will "need" another rabies vaccination in about 2 years.  By that time, I hope I have figured out SOME way to avoid it, as long as her titers are good.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

@spent2much  So happy to hear that you had a good visit.  Yes, it can be a bit $$$, but well worth it.  I hated to pay a conventional vet when most of the time I didn't or wouldn't go along with their treatment.  My husband will go along with the natural stuff, but he does none of the research. 

There isn't a whole lot that even a holistic vet can do about the rabies mess.  It is the law.  They are sympathetic, but they can't lose their license either.  They can't MAKE us vaccinate and they certainly aren't going to report us.  They can help us remedy them afterwards which can go a long way toward sidestepping some of the aftereffects.

Glad you found your vet and that you have peace of mind.  There are so few of them out there.  Mine is very busy which goes to show you that people want this type of care. 

Take care ~

Tends

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs  I've GOT to do something to prevent her next rabies vac, as long as her blood titers are good and show immunity.  I don't know WHAT yet, but I've got to find a way.  Dr. John Robb (protectthepets.com) is working diligently to get the law changed, bless his heart.

Super Contributor

@spent2much, shortly after I moved to my new home, I interviewed the local vet. My little girl got an auto-immune disorder from her 3-month shots (and she didn''t even get all of them), and cannot be vaccinated anymore, so I wanted to know how he felt about such things. He basically said, in so many words, that what the State don't know, won't hurt them. While I appreciated his attitude, I chose to travel the extra 20 minutes to stay with my old vet. 

Maybe you can have a chat with your vet? Seems that more and more of them think we're over-vaccinating our pets.

And I love my vet! She's in a holistic practice, and is also an animal chiropractor. Helps me know what supplements to give my little girl.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@summerwind  THANK YOU for your response.  My traditional vet may be able to help me.  He said he "knows someone" at the state level.  The holistic vet that I just saw said she tells people to say they gave the dog away.  Then if people come to check (and she says that does happen), then you are to tell them, "They gave him/her back."  I don't want to lie and I really don't like that idea.  But I WILL find a way to protect the sweetest dog I've ever known, our Jessie!

Esteemed Contributor

@spent2much  If your dog has a health reason for not getting it, you can get an exemption for her.  Probably easier since she has been vaccinated for it already. She may still have immunity. Willie got an exemption and just got his rabies a few weeks ago at 20 months old.  It says right on the vial of the vaccine to be given to healthy animals only. 

Do you get Dogs Naturally Magazine?  I get a daily email from them on a multitude of topics.  An update and good info on rabies was the email a couple weeks ago.  If you go on line and GOOGLE the name of the mag, maybe you can get it if they have an archive.  They have a chat that you can go on and they could direct you.  I have used this feature and it was very helpful.

I feel your pain.  I will fight giving a second shot as long as I can.

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs  THANK YOU for your concern.  Yes, I know getting an exemption is one possible way of avoiding another vaccine.  I also get a daily email from Dogs Naturally magazine.  It's very helpful!  And yes, many dogs who receive ONE rabies vaccine are immune for life.  But the vets want to make their money.  Plus, when the dogs have side effects from vaccines, the vets get to make MORE money treating them.  SOOOOOOOO discouraging, disheartening and frustrating!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Loving the new vet

[ Edited ]

@summerwindwrote:

@spent2much, shortly after I moved to my new home, I interviewed the local vet. My little girl got an auto-immune disorder from her 3-month shots (and she didn''t even get all of them), and cannot be vaccinated anymore, so I wanted to know how he felt about such things. He basically said, in so many words, that what the State don't know, won't hurt them. While I appreciated his attitude, I chose to travel the extra 20 minutes to stay with my old vet. 

Maybe you can have a chat with your vet? Seems that more and more of them think we're over-vaccinating our pets.

And I love my vet! She's in a holistic practice, and is also an animal chiropractor. Helps me know what supplements to give my little girl.

Good luck!

@summerwind  Did you end up giving your dog anymore shots?  My guy presented with IBD shortly after his ONE distemper/parvo shot ath 4 months old.    When he threw up blood, I was sick that I ever let myself be "scared" into that shot.  My holistic vet got that in remission, but then he presented with skin allergies.  He had so many scabs and raw spots it was pitiful.  She got that under control, too.  She said he should never be vaccinated again.  I hope she sticks to that. Smiley Wink.

BTW my vet does chiropractic, ozone, and laser treatments.  It is so refreshing after going to conventional vets for the last 30 years where all they offer is steroids. 

Esteemed Contributor

@spent2muchwrote:

@summerwind  THANK YOU for your response.  My traditional vet may be able to help me.  He said he "knows someone" at the state level.  The holistic vet that I just saw said she tells people to say they gave the dog away.  Then if people come to check (and she says that does happen), then you are to tell them, "They gave him/her back."  I don't want to lie and I really don't like that idea.  But I WILL find a way to protect the sweetest dog I've ever known, our Jessie!

@spent2much  I agree about lying.  It goes against my belief system.  My daughters vet told her not to license her dog....stay under the radar.  As long as they have a rabies shot they could only fine you for not having a license.  When we got Willie's rabies, she said that they don't give rabies tags anymore.  Most likely people were forging them or buying fake ones online. We just have a certificate of proof.  I also made them give me a picture of the label.  She gave him the thimerasol free shot. 

Super Contributor

@tends2dogs, my vet refuses to give my dog any more vaccines. She feels partially responsible for her problems. She finally said I could have her spayed, if she remains in remission until after what will be her 3rd heat, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I know they'd take special measures with her, but thiings can go wrong in the best of situations.

And, yes, ozone and laser at my vet's, too, couldn't remember and was on my way out.

I did have to have her on prednisone, ended up being over a year, but my vet said it was the only way to stop her immune system from "eating her red blood cells." She knew how frightened I was about giving it, but I trusted her. Her blood count was down to 13% at the worst, from 40-50%. I later learned that 8% is considered not enough to sustain life, so feel so grateful that my vet believed me when I said it was more than the normal lethargy that can be associated with the distemper booster.