Esteemed Contributor

Lost our sweet Mr. Bella 😿

thanksgiving night our kitty started to jump up on the bed from a bench at the end so approximately 18",  and fell off on his butt due to a plate that had some  turkey that I gave he and his brother a little earlier .  I forgot to take it away .   Now he has had problems with walking for a few months now from what we thought was from his weight ,  he was a little overweight , and age ,  vet said it was fine in the summer as he and his brother are 19 so she felt better to have done weight at his age in case he did ever get sick.   Well long story short after the fall he could hardly walk and lost control of his bladder and it broke my heart .   He had not been walking around a lot in the past  weeks anyways,  they had there own bed and and slept on a down comforter together always.   DH and I stayed up with him all night till we could call his vet in the morning.  We had to take him yo the litter box ,  and water so to make sure he didn't try to jump from the bed.   Once at the vet she did labs and it showed advanced diabetes and kidney disease !   We had no idea,  cats are notorious for  hiding illness till it's too late.  She said if he hadn't fallen then he would have fallen soon and maybe we would not have been home even.   He appeared lifeless and just layed there.   Ordinarily he was aggravated and not cooperative when at the vet ,  he did t even try to Swat her even when taking his temperature.   She told us that she felt by his numbers and how he was acting his quality of life would most likely go downhill fast.  If we took him home he need insulin twice a day and fluids and even then she didnt hold much hope, and that he could go into respitory distress at my time.   Plus his age wasn't in his favor .   My DH and I talked about it spent an hour with him and finally knew what we had to do for him.  Held him while he passed ,  sobbing ...miss him terribly .   His brother is breaking our heart as he just walks around meowing and looking for his brother,  they were litter mates and inseparable  .  We are giving him Tons of extra love ,  -and treats , we know it's going to take time for all of us to grieve.   Being holiday time is only making it worse,  we want to just cancel Christmas this year.  No more one way trips after his brother passes it's too devasting and have done it too many times in my life.  We miss that unconditional love that only pets provide.

Sorry this his was so long ,  tried to gather my thoughts better,  guess I didnt succeed though.

Respected Contributor

Re: Lost our sweet Mr. Bella 😿

@Kitty Galore I'm so sorry! Mr. Bella sounds like he had an absolutely wonderful life with you, and it really does seem as if it was his time. All our furbabies that have gone before met him at the gates, welcomed him in, and now he is healthy & happy! He'll be waiting for you when the time is right.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore   I'm so sorry for your loss.  It sounds like Mr. Bella had a wonderful life with you.  19 is a nice old age for a cat.  I know you did the right thing for him.  Keep loving on his brother.  It will bring both of you comfort.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore   So sorry for your loss of Mr. Bella. It is an awful time of year to lose a pet, but I can't think of any time that would make it easier. 

When Sadie passed away, we worried terribly how Molly would do without her. She grieved, looked around for her, didn't want to sleep in "their" bed, so we purchased a new one for her...no memories attached. Within a week, she seemed to have accepted what had happened. 

I hope Mr. Bella's brother does as well as Molly. Take the time you need to grieve. You had him for 19 years and that's many good memories. 

Shanus

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore I am in  tears for you and your family. Older cats are prone to kidney disease, sadly. You did the kindest thing for him. He's in Kitty Heaven and well and playing and knowing how much you will always love him.

HIs poor brother will mourn him for a long time. When DH died our cat, who adored him, mourned for weeks. I don't get how some people think animals don't 'feel".

Thank you for loving your sweet boy. He will always be in your heart.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore   Words can't express how sad I am for your loss.   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

So sorry about Mr.Bella 😔

Honored Contributor

Shedding tears for you because I know what's it like to lose a precious member...yes member...of the family. 

Happened to me too many times, but they are so worth the wonderful years they give us.

Remembering you in my prayers.   

Regular Contributor

So sorry, so sad.  And I know how hard it is for the liter mate left behind be it cat or dog.

Respected Contributor

i am so sorry for your loss @Kitty Galore