Esteemed Contributor

There are so many Harvey and Irma pets being  sent to local shelters - I would ahve adopted one in a heartbeat if I didn't have 3 cats already. It would be a wonderful thing to provide a home for a displaced cat. There's such a need right now!

Super Contributor

@Dweezil: I hope you can find your kitty.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Lost my cat

[ Edited ]

@Dweezil, I can understand how upset you must be!  I had this happen with two different cats. One was about 18 years ago.  I called the different humane societies to see if he had shown up.  Also, made colored photocopies of his picture.  I took those pictures and placed them by everyone's front door in my neighborhood where I knew they would be seen!!!  FOUR VERY LONG DAYS after Punkin was lost, I received a phone call from a neighbor.  She had saved my flyer.  My cat was hiding under her deck, afraid and wouldn't come out for  her.  I ran over and got him to come out.  Like I said, it was four very long days.

About 9 years ago, another cat (who is sitting by my shoulder now) got out.  I looked close to home, under my deck and my neighbors.  Left some of his food and water out on my deck. When I was at work, my neighbor had called and left me a message that my cat was on my deck, eating away, then left since no one was at home. When I got home, it was chilly and dark.  I stood out in my back yard and shook a cat treat container and called his name....over and over again.  It was so quiet that night, which helped, and I spoke his name like I normally would (not shouting or upset or panicky).  I just stood there, doing that for about 15 minutes.  Lo and behold......he was under my neighbor's deck, where I had looked several times.  He wsa just scared and hiding. He slowly came toward me.  They do say that indoor cats don't roam far.  If they do get out, they think it's neat for a little while, and then they are scared!! 

Good luck to you.  

Contributor

@Dweezil wrote:

My best cat friend ever has just disappeared.  Not at the pound.  No cat traps set in the area.  He was the only cat I ever had that actually would come when you called him, so I knew there was a problem two nights ago.  I am having a horrible time handling this broken heart.  I keep thinking he will maybe turn up, but I know that is a long shot.  He was pretty pampered and I don't think he would know how to take care of himself.  My question is:  I am 71 years old, but in very good health; live in my own house in a small town with my husband of 50 years.  He thinks it would be a bad idea to look into getting another cat (not a kitten) at our age, but I miss my cat so much.  What do you think?

He is back and I am one happy cat mom.  He got locked in a neighbord shed.  Thanks for all the kind thoughts!

Trusted Contributor

Hooray!! @Dweezil

Valued Contributor

Happy day!!!!!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Dweezil wrote:

He is back and I am one happy cat mom.  He got locked in a neighbord shed.  Thanks for all the kind thoughts!

@Dweezil, this is so good to hear. Now your kitty is home safe and sound and you both are happy. Cat Happy Woman Happy Heart

Good thing your neighbor had gone to the shed ...

Thanks for the update.

Respected Contributor

That's wonderful - so happy!  Thanks for the update!

Honored Contributor

@Dweezil,  Did he have any tags on?  Is he use to being outdoors?  If he is use to the outdoors and finds a friend to pal with he will probably go with the new friend but if he is really hungry, he will come home.  Give it a week or two weeks and then you might want to consider adopting an older cat like 7 or 8 years old.  Make sure you keep the cat indoors.  So much can happen even in your small town.  I know you feel bad.  Your pets become part of your family.  Take care.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Dweezil wrote:

@Dweezil wrote:

My best cat friend ever has just disappeared.  Not at the pound.  No cat traps set in the area.  He was the only cat I ever had that actually would come when you called him, so I knew there was a problem two nights ago.  I am having a horrible time handling this broken heart.  I keep thinking he will maybe turn up, but I know that is a long shot.  He was pretty pampered and I don't think he would know how to take care of himself.  My question is:  I am 71 years old, but in very good health; live in my own house in a small town with my husband of 50 years.  He thinks it would be a bad idea to look into getting another cat (not a kitten) at our age, but I miss my cat so much.  What do you think?

@Dweezil  This is such great news!  I've been thinking about you and your lost cat so much.  I'm so glad he's back!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau