Regular Contributor

Don't give up...it's only been 2 days. My outdoor cat used to take regular "outings" and would disappear for up to 4 to 5 days. In the meantime, you're a wreck waiting, looking, hoping. I will keep my fingers crossed that he'll return.

Respected Contributor

@Dweezil  I'm so sorry about your kitty.  I live alone and have always had just one cat that I feel is my best friend and buddy, so I understand how you feel.  When I lost my Zoe (of 15 years), I was heartbroken.  I was with her when she took her last breath, and I still can see her in my mind even though that was 2-1/2 years ago.

Fast forward to today.  Only about a month after she passed, a neighbor started sending me pictures of 3 feral kittens that were born in the garage where she worked.  Long story short......a month and a half later I had a new 6-week kitten (Al) in my home!

It's been a journey, but he is now my new best friend.  He is nothing like Zoe was in appearance or personality, but just like children, you love them all the same.  I implore you to go with your instinct to get another cat, as soon as you're sure the other one is not returning.  You may want to skip the kitten stages (lots of patience needed), but at least I've been able to "raise" him the way I wanted to.  I'm almost 69, and I don't expect to live without a furry friend for the rest of my days........you are not too old to adopt!  Cat Happy

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

We have two indoor/outdoor cats.  One stays close when she is out but my baby boy loves to visit the neighbors.  He always comes home at suppertime.  I hope your sweet boy shows up soon.  In the meantime, you are not too old to have another cat.  Talk it over with your husband and go for it.

Respected Contributor

Make sure you check with your local SPCA or any other organization in your area that will accept lost animals.  So many times a cat or dog is found by someone and they take it to the SPCA because they don't know what else to do.

Just make the call to make sure your cat isn't there.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lost my cat

[ Edited ]

I'm so sorry about your cat.  It's only been two days, so it's way too soon to start thinking about getting another cat.  You say you've checked the shelters.  You need to check them every day and actually visit them frequently.  Calling isn't good enough.  Have you put up fliers in your area?  Have you passed out fliers with your cat's picture on them in your neighborhood?  You will be much more likely to find your cat if you do this.  Lastly, you may need to set a trap for your cat with something tempting like tuna in the trap.  Ask your shelter how to do this.  They will have a trap you can borrow or know where to direct you to find one.

My last suggestion would be to keep your cat inside if you find him.  It's much safer for him, and he will live a longer healthier life.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

So sorry to hear that you kitty is missing.  A vet told me that if you think your cat is lost because he/she got out by accident, put their litter box outside. Supposedly cats can smell their pans--even if we cannot--at a great distance.

About four years ago, when my long haired kitty seemed to disappear, I was frantic. He was a totally inside cat. I asked neighbors, roamed the neighborhood, contacted various shelters, etc.  It turns out that my cat had somehow gotten into a closet and never made a sound. He just sat and waited for me to open the  door to the closet that I rarely used.  There he was, happy to see me, when I retraced my steps.  I hope your story has a happy ending.  

Trusted Contributor

@Dweezil   I'm sorry your kitty cat is missing.  I said a prayer to St. Francis (patron saint of animals) for you.  Wishing and praying that your cat comes back home safe and sound.  Like other posters said, your cat has only been missing a few days, so don't give up so quickly.  He might be closer to home than you think he is.  Also, if you do adopt again, please adopt a senior pet.  They need love too.  

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry - hope you get him back.

Are you on Facebook?  That seems to be a great way to find lost pets - I see a lot of success stories on there every week.

Also try putting an add in the local paper; put pictures of your kitty up around the neighborhood on telephone poles or trees, at local stores, etc.

Good luck/hugs.  

Honored Contributor

I've already commented but thought of something else.  There's a website called PawBoost dot com.  You can post a picture of your cat and people can look up the zip code in the area where they are if they find him and connect with you.  I bookmarked that website in case I ever lose or find a pet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind.