Contributor

My best cat friend ever has just disappeared.  Not at the pound.  No cat traps set in the area.  He was the only cat I ever had that actually would come when you called him, so I knew there was a problem two nights ago.  I am having a horrible time handling this broken heart.  I keep thinking he will maybe turn up, but I know that is a long shot.  He was pretty pampered and I don't think he would know how to take care of himself.  My question is:  I am 71 years old, but in very good health; live in my own house in a small town with my husband of 50 years.  He thinks it would be a bad idea to look into getting another cat (not a kitten) at our age, but I miss my cat so much.  What do you think?

Contributor

Don't know if this will help but ti was sent to me when my indoor cat got out. We got him back using lostmykitty.com after nine weeks. Good luck

1) Most frightened animals especially indoor cats out for the first time will not wander far from home. Enlist friends and neighbors to go door to door with flyers asking people to look for your pet. Ask them to look in garages or sheds that might have been open recently when your pet disappeared. Leave the flyer with them, in case they spot your pet they will have your contact information. Look for your pet around any woods, barns, store dumpsters, vacant lots and in any place they could be hiding. If they are frightened they will be looking for shelter, food and a quiet place to hide. Sometimes your neighbors may have seen your cat or dog but not known it was yours or that it was missing. Unfortunately people don't realize they are lost when they see them. They just assume they are outdoor animals. Indoor only cats are usually found very close to their home and a trap often needs to be set for them as they will not reveal their hiding place even to their owners. Use smelly canned tuna in the trap and set it near a place your cat could be hiding. You can also try putting out food or the litter box near your house to draw them out. Also you can contact lostmykitty.com and get flyers sent to local vets and shelters and can have them call your neighbors.

2) Find the person in your neighborhood (every neighborhood has one) who takes in all the strays or is feeding stray cats outside. Frightened animals will go towards food and may stay there. Since frightened pets are sometimes unapproachable they may not realize this is someone's pet and assume it's a feral or an abandoned stray. Also this person may have seen your pet at the feeding stations.

3) Call the animal control officer in your area and in surrounding areas. If your pet is injured or killed they would likely know about it and they may have picked your cat or dog up. Call or stop in to veterinarians in the area where you live and in surrounding areas. Put flyers up in the vets offices with your contact information. If someone does find your cat they may need medical attention. Also if someone has picked up your pet with the intention of keeping it they will likely take it to a vet as some point and the vet may help to reunite you with your pet. Visit the local 24 hour pet emergency clinic in Latham. They may have treated your pet if it was injured after hours or on the weekend. Again bring flyers.

4) Call the local shelters and humane societies. Also ask them when you call if there is anyplace else the cat or dog might have been taken. Not all municipalities contract with the local humane societies. Some contract with private kennels. Bring a flyer or picture of your pet and go to the shelters to look for your pet. They get hundreds of animals a week and can't remember every one of them. Collars (with phone numbers written on them), identification tags and microchiping will all help in getting your pet back home if it gets lost again

Honored Contributor

If you DO  get another adopted cat from a shelter be SURE it will be an INDOOR ONLY cat. It's proven that indoor only cats live longer and healthier lives.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dweezil, My Khloe is a runner so I know what you are feeling. Hoping your cat comes home. (((HUGS)))

Honored Contributor

Of course you're not too old to get another cat.  Just don't select a young kitten.  There are thousands of mature cats without silly kittenish behavior who need good homes.  A shelter ought to be able to give you some idea of what the cat's personality is like.  As previously stated, make the commitment to make this one an inside only cat. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Lost my cat

[ Edited ]

@Dweezil

As long as you're physically able to take care of a pet, I don't think you're too old to get another cat. If you opt to get one, however, you might consider keeping him or her indoors or, if you feel compelled to let him or her out, you get him microchipped and not let him out unattended. I'd also note that for me the acquisition of a new pet doesn't replace the loss of a previous one... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

So many good ideas thank you.  I have actually contacted everyone I can think of.  The cat is microchipped but I don't know how much good that does.  Unfortunately, I am the one in the neighborhood who feeds the feral cats.

Trusted Contributor

@Dweezil, so sad that your cat (no name was given) hasn't shown up, yet.  Maybe he went off on an adventure and he will show up soon. HeartCat Happy

Your question: if you should get another cat

Talk to your husband again about getting another cat ... perhaps there are other reasons, other than age, for him not wanting another cat. 

You're 71 years young ... not too old to have a cat.  I'm old and 2 years ago I ended up with a feral cat (now a neutered, indoor kitty) Boots. He really needed a home, it's dangerous in the rural area with all the different wild-life out there.

I hope that you and your husband can come to an agreement on getting another cat.  You sound like you really miss your cat's  companionship and you will lovingly take care of this new addition, as you have with the one who is missing. Perhaps, if you do get another cat, keep it as an 'indoor kitty' - Vets tell cat owners that it's best to keep a cat as an indoor pet.   Keep the "Pet Lovers" updated.

Honored Contributor

Was this kitty an indoor cat? Keeping your cat indoors solely is the only safe way to raise them. Kitty has only been gone 2 days, I'd give it more time before thinking of getting another. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Please consider adopting a senior cat. The rescue group or organization will be able to help you pick a cat that has the traits that you would like.

Recently, a group neutered a large feral cat community in one of our parks, The cats that seemed to respond well to people, were given to foster parents to try and see if the cats could be comfortable in domestic situations. So our local cat rescue groups always has ads looking for people to adopt.

Sorry that your cat is missing. Maybe he just went on a little vacation and will show up today. Let's hope.