Super Contributor

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. I must admit I was a bit traumatized for a few days even though thankfully nothing happened to my dog, he’s a 5 year old 20lb shiba Inu cross and German shepherd cross. A very cute little mix. I am so sorry to those who’ve have similar events happen, what a nightmare off leash big dangerous dogs can be. 

I have been thinking a lot about this and I don’t think I can be trusted to not spray myself or my dog with pepper spray in the heat of the moment. I am very interested in the citronella spray,  does anyone know if it’s really effective? And the best place to get it? Also the stick with a stun on the end sounds good too. Where do I get one of those?

A few hours after I called animal control that day, I put my dog in my car to drive him to a nice park to walk him around, and as I passed the offending house with the loose pit bull would you believe the dog was out again off leash on the edge of his yard! If I were walking he could have crossed the road to me again! I couldn’t believe my eyes. I called animal control again and made another report. A few days later I saw the dog off leash in his yard again. I called animal control for a 3rd time. They said they had attended the house earlier in the week and issued a warning, the next step is to issue them a fine. 

The next day I saw the dog on the leash in his yard! Finally! Trust me, I will be keeping a close eye on that yard. They also recommended getting a picture if you can, it always gives more proof. Thanks everyone for your help. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Souperkrys wrote:

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. I must admit I was a bit traumatized for a few days even though thankfully nothing happened to my dog, he’s a 5 year old 20lb shiba Inu cross and German shepherd cross. A very cute little mix. I am so sorry to those who’ve have similar events happen, what a nightmare off leash big dangerous dogs can be. 

I have been thinking a lot about this and I don’t think I can be trusted to not spray myself or my dog with pepper spray in the heat of the moment. I am very interested in the citronella spray,  does anyone know if it’s really effective? And the best place to get it? Also the stick with a stun on the end sounds good too. Where do I get one of those?

A few hours after I called animal control that day, I put my dog in my car to drive him to a nice park to walk him around, and as I passed the offending house with the loose pit bull would you believe the dog was out again off leash on the edge of his yard! If I were walking he could have crossed the road to me again! I couldn’t believe my eyes. I called animal control again and made another report. A few days later I saw the dog off leash in his yard again. I called animal control for a 3rd time. They said they had attended the house earlier in the week and issued a warning, the next step is to issue them a fine. 

The next day I saw the dog on the leash in his yard! Finally! Trust me, I will be keeping a close eye on that yard. They also recommended getting a picture if you can, it always gives more proof. Thanks everyone for your help. 

First calling animal control when the dog is in his own yard is wrong.  Does not matter if he is on leash or off, as long as he is in his own yard the owner is doing nothing wrong.  Think animal control is just telling you that to get you to stop calling. They cannot fine unless they witness the infraction,.  Continuing to call animal control in that situation is like crying wolf, when you need them they will just think it is another false alarm.

I have had to use the citronella spray on a couple of times, I found it very effective.  Straight spray, once right in front of him, the other right between the eyes.If by some strange circumstance you do get some on you or your dog, it will sting like when you squirt yourself when peeling a citrus fruit.  A dogs scent is much more senitive so even just gettig it in that direction is enough of a deterent in many cases.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

This happened to me when I was walking my yorkie only it wasn't a pit bull. My little guy never wanted to walk by that house again - if he heard it barking, he wouldn't even go that way.

It go so I drove him to a point passed the house, took him for a walk (when we got to "that" house he would pick up his pace even if the dog wasn't out) and then home.

Of course, I still had to go back and get my car, lol!! 

Now, I have a wristlet pepper spray (its really a stream) that I wear when I walk. I would never use it directly on an animal just near them so they get a whiff. If I had to I probably would.

Respected Contributor

Re: Loose Dog Danger

[ Edited ]

I walk my dog with BEAR MACE and a 20" copper pipe, if anyone or anything tries to hurt us I will KILL it, and I mean it.