Honored Contributor

@Souperkrys  I walk my two dogs everyday and worry about the situation you described happening everyday.  You must protect yourself with pepperspay and or Mace. I carry it everyday....and even for protection from bad people(men) if that ever came up....  It is not a end all or a fix, but it could deter a vicious attack and let you get away.  

Please go on Amazon and purchase one or the other....make sure you know how to use it properly or you could spray yourself.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Loose Dog Danger

[ Edited ]

@Souperkrys, what an awful story.  I feel so bad for posters who have been attacked.  

You must he be careful with the spray.  It can blow back on you on a windy day as @Mz iMac said.  

I carry a marine horn that gives a big blast.  I have never used it.  We have coyotes here and in winter they roam looking for food.  There are some pit bulls around here too.

With domestic dogs, keep reporting them.  Who cares if the owner knows it was you.  Maybe they will get the message.  We had one family on our street that let their dogs wander.  Almost all of us here are dog owners but we respect our neighbors.  That family was reported by several people and they finally got the message.  Sadly, it took one of the dogs being injured after getting into barbed wire in a field before they kept them at home.

I am a dog owner.  However, if a large dog is charging at me, it scares the daylights out of me.

@Carmie, what happened to you is awful.  The person whose husband had to shoot the animals, well, there are no words.

At my last house, neighbors took in, at different times, a German Shepherd who failed RCMP training and a Doberman someone gave them.  One attacked me, bit me and one attacked my husband and our Lab.  Both times the animals were put down.  The second time it happened, my husband told them if another dog came to their family, he would own their house.  That was the end of that story.  My doctor was shocked at my injuries and said if it had been a child, it could have been fatal.  

Some people just don’t get it.  LM

Contributor

I am so sorry this happened to you. Let me tell you the same thing happened to me also. The thing is I have a female Rottweiller who os big but gentle as a lamb. While walking her a pit bull ran up so fast and just started mauling my Reesie. I was frantic and kept trying to pull my dog away while this dog just kept attacking. Reesie could not defend herself beause I was pulling her the best I could. A neighbor came out and beat the dog with a broom until the owner ran up. I took Reesie to the Vet who told me next time to let her go and defend herself. So I am saying if this happened to me and my big dog I can only imagine what it is like for owners of little dogs. While don't people walk their dogs on a lease like required?

Honored Contributor

You might want to check your state laws.  In my state, it's illegal to let dogs run loose and they can be rounded up and the owners prosecuted.  Sadly, there have been incidents where aggressive dogs left to run loose were shot and killed to protect everyone else.

Also, if a loose dog causes a vehicular accident, the owner is liable.

It's sad that there are irresponsible owners out there.  You have to do what you must to protect yourself and your own animals and property.

Honored Contributor

That Zap Cane I posted about is going to work better than any can of spray where you can easily get your hand arm bitten or ripped off. The Zap Cane is longer where you can Zap a dog quicker than you could spray it.

It's a one million volt stun device.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

That Zap Cane I posted about is going to work better than any can of spray where you can easily get your hand arm bitten or ripped off. The Zap Cane is longer where you can Zap a dog quicker than you could spray it.

It's a one million volt stun device.

Unless the cane extends 10 ft the spray I use will hit the dog before the cane. 

FYI...the volts is not an indication of the strength, it is the amps.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Citronella Spray

I read an article yesterday about what to do if you meet a stray dog, and it recommended citronella spray.  Pepper spray is likely to get in your and your dog's face.  They also said not to pick up your dog as it's likely to cause injury to you.  I've also heard you should avoid eye contact with the loose dog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Even a park is no guarantee of safety, though it's usually better than a neighborhood.  More than ten years ago, I was walking my Scotties in our local park after work one evening, and a loose Lab/Rottweiler cross who had already mauled many dogs and put them in the hospital came up on us from behind.  I had a very elderly foster dog who was toddling along at the back of the pack, and the big dog went after him.  I had a young Scottie at that time who was one fierce little 17 pound package of defense, and she loved her elderly buddie, and she got in between the big dog and the rest of us.  I was yelling and throwing rocks at the big dog, but he kept advancing, and his owner was nowhere in sight.  He grabbed Peggy by the middle of her back and shook her, and I kicked him in the head until he dropped her.  She turned right around and grabbed one of his front legs, and bit down.  I heard a crunch, she must have broken the fibula.  He backed off and ran away.  I checked Peggy with my flashlight, and the big dog had not even broken the skin.  She was a little stiff and sore for a few days, but otherwise unharmed.  Ten years later, we were at the same park one weekend, and Peg was the elderly one by then, with her three daughters and I walking with her.  Just as we were getting into the mini-van, that same big dog came around a corner and saw the girls.  He was limping on the same front leg Peg had bitten so long ago, but he came hobbling towards us as fast as he could.  Peggy  was already in her crate, but got back out of it and stood at the top of the ramp, with her daughters standing on the ground.  That big black monster saw Peg standing there, and I swear, he stopped dead, turned, and hobbled the other way.  Peggy saw him heading away, turned and got back in her crate.  After that, I never saw him again, thankfully.  I did buy a flashlight that was also a stunning device that fall, though, so I would be carrying it at night anyway, and kept it charged up so it was always ready, just in case.  I know I would have to move in to arm's length to use it, but to protect my dog, I would do so.  Now that I'm retired, we walk during the daytime, but if I were walking in a less safe area, I'd carry that flashlight anyway.  If you can find such a device, Souperkrys, I'd suggest carrying it, or a stun stick of some sort, it's much easier to poke something with a stick than to aim a spray, and if you nail a big dog with a good solid zap, they aren't going to get angry and come back for more, they'll either be flat on the ground or running away as fast as they can.  I agree with the suggestion that you call the cops every time that aggressive dog is running loose, eventually the owner will have the dog confiscated, and you might save someone else's dog's or a child's life by getting that aggressive dog off the street.

Honored Contributor

Have to be careful with pepper spray.   You want the kind that shoots a straight stream, like a can of wasp spray.   It doesn't "spray", it's a stream.    Important for 2 reasons, it works at a distance and it's more accurate.    Pepper spray has an expiration date, so you would need to re-purchase.   

You could carry a can of wasp spray.

Pepper Blaster

A Zap Cane in theory is good for a sneaky dog, just circling.   But if one is charging, you would really have your hands full.

The best thing to do is avoid the area, sorry about that, you should be able to walk your neighborhood safely but such is life.    And call animal control.   

Honored Contributor

@Carmie. More dog owners need to become responsible for their dogs. Their should be laws in place, not just city by city, to protect innocent dog walkers from unsupervised dogs. 

My beagles (docile 13” dogs) are never off leash when they leave my property. Not everyone is considerate. We also have an electric fence and our dogs wear a collar in case they bolt when I answer the door...hasn’t happened yet...but, that fence doesn’t keep other dogs off your property. I’ve been outside getting the mail, gardening and my dogs are w/ me off leash. I’ve had the dogs from across the street enter my yard and unsure of their behavior, take my dogs inside & call the authorities who have issued a written warning re: leash laws within city limits. Second offense, the owners are fined and dogs are at the shelter.