Valued Contributor

We have family visiting and they brought their dog. They give her a little people food for a treat but I would like to buy some doggy treats for the dog. Any good suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking for good dog treats

That's nice that you want to do that, @cimeranrose , but many dog owners are very fussy about what foods and treats they give their dog.  Your best bet would be to check with the owners (even though you probably wanted to surprise them).  I'd hate to see you waste your money on treats that this dog may not like or may not agree with his/her digestive tract, etc.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @cimeranrose ! We had Westies for years and one common theme is that they all love Greenies.  Their advertised for dental health, don't cause runny poop.  I had one dog who seemed addicted to them.  They're available in different sizes depending on the dog.  I would always ask the owner though if it's OK to give the dog the treat.

Trusted Contributor

Our dog gets lettuce, cut up celery, carrots, for treats, we stay away from processed dog treats.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cimeranrose How very sweet and kind of you to consider your furry visitor!

Please be very careful about introducing new treats into a dog's diet. Even vegetables can produce diarrhea in a dog who is not used to eating them. 

Maybe you could buy some of the "people food" that she/he is used to? 

I'm sure the doggy's mommy/daddy would appreciate your thoughtful gesture!Heart

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose   I like to give the Fruitables baked dog treats to my dog.  There are lots of different flavors.  I don't see how the owner could object to them, but you never know.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Nyla bones