Frequent Contributor

Looking for advice for my dog's nose

Hoping someone out there has a suggestion that I haven't tried.  Have a cocker spaniel with severe allergies so I have to feed her special moist foods made from a prepared set of ingredients.  Her nose continues to crust up with the food.  I wipe it after she eats and have tried Nose Butter and nothing has helped with the crusting.  Anyone have any home remedies that they have tried that has worked to help remove food buildup and crusting?  Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Looking for advice for my dog's nose

That's a unique issue!  Coming from left field on this one, but would changing the food dish in any way help?  In other words, a bowl that is not so deep?    Other than that, would putting something on your dog's nose before she eats help in any way.  It obviously would have to be something that wouldn't be harmful to get in her  food.  Maybe your vet would have a recommendation for that.  Good luck to you on this one.

Esteemed Contributor

No solution for crusty nose.  I also have a Cocker, turned 14 last week, and she has always had that crusty nose.  My first Cocker didn't, she had a soft beautiful nose - but this dog - a minature CS - has always had it.  I asked the Vet and she said some dogs have it - some don't - just the nature of the breed.  I've Googled for a solution and some people tried treatments but the dog just licks it off.  It's not the food you're giving your dog - it's just part of life.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't have anything to do with the food IME. What does your vet say about the crusting? It has a variety of causes. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Hi Smiley Happy

I know you're asking for an external topical recommendation, but I have an internal remedy suggestion.

I always look for a natural solution/remedy whenever my animals have an issue. Last Fall, 1 of my cats had an extreme thyroid issue, & another cat had a constipation issue. I was researching both problems, & purchased some products from Pet Essences (I'm not affiliated with them).

Both cats responded to the remedies so fast- unbelievable!

I see the company has a remedy for "Allergies". The product is really easy to administer, via directly in mouth 4x daily, or on a small amount of food. I only give the cats 4 drops via a dropper. They take it directly or with food- no problem. I don't recommend putting it in a water bowl- they'd never drink it all to get the benefits.

Here's the link, if you're interested. I also bought a remedy for my Golden Retriever.  Good luck with your pup!  Heart

http://www.petessences.com/products/allergies?variant=1719756033

Trusted Contributor

I don't know how frequently you apply the butter, but perhaps applying it several times during the day, apart from feeding time would help with soothing the nose.  Having had a cocker before, I have not heard of this condition, but I did a quick google search and read that this is definitely common.  I've learned something new from your post as I was unaware of nose butter, but I will file that information away!

Esteemed Contributor

I had a dog that was allergic to his dog bowl. (plastic) Since then I only use stainless steel or ceramic.  I agree with some of the others that maybe the depth of the dish is part of the problem. I wonder if your dog has become allergic to some ingrediant in his food.Is he drinking enough water? I know that the two I have now get so busy playing that they can't be bothered with getting drinks. Their noses will get crusty. Is there an additive that you can put on the food to help?  I used to have one to sprinkle on Hogan's food because he had all kinds of tummy issues. Perhaps your vet or your local pet store owner can offer some ideas.  There are so many products on the market that we really don't know are available. Hope you find your answers soon.    

New Contributor

My six year old cocker has the same problems. For his nose: every morning and evening I put Vaseline lightly on his nose. As long as I don't forget, it really seems to help.

Frequent Contributor

What great suggestions!  Our other cocker had such a pretty nose so I have never encountered this issue.  She's going to the vet for annual checkup in a week so I'll check with him too.  Thanks for all the advice.

Honored Contributor

@qshpr89 I am very involved with collie/sheltie rescue and am familiar with a condition not uncommon in these breed which can also affect other dogs.  It's a form of canine lupus complete unlike the human variety.  It's an inherited trait which is triggered by excess sunlight.

We refer to the condition as "collie nose" and can be a mild pink spot on the black nose or can manifest itself as a large unsightly, crusty, draining sore that covers much of a collie's long nose.  It must be treated by a vet and is difficult to completely cure, although it can be improved.  Most important is keeping the dog out of the sun.

Here's some info on the condition.   Please ignore the advertising.  Good luck with your dog.

NASAL DERMATOSES OF DOGS

(Collie nose, Nasal solar dermatitis)

"Collie nose" is used to describe a condition in which breeds with little or no pigment on their face develop lesions, usually on the nose, eyelids and lips. The lesions are caused by a hypersensitivity to sunlight. Despite the term "Collie nose", breeds other than Collies can also be affected, especially Shetland Sheepdogs. Collie nose has an inherited component and is worse in areas with sunny climates.

⁘ ⁘ ⁘ ⁘ ⁘ ⁘

Nasal dermatoses of dogs may be caused by many diseases. Lesions may affect the bridge of the nose, the planum nasale, or both. In pyoderma, dermatophytosis, and demodicosis, the haired portions of the nose are affected. In lupus or pemphigus, the whole muzzle is often crusted (with occasional oozing of serum) or ulcerated. In systemic and discoid lupus, and occasionally in pemphigus and cutaneous lymphoma, the planum nasale is de-pigmented, erythematous, and eventually may ulcerate. Nasal dermatosis due to solar radiation probably is a rare disease, often a misdiagnosis for the lupus variants. In true nasal solar dermatitis, the non-pigmented areas of the planum nasale are affected first, and occasionally the bridge of the nose may become inflamed and sometimes ulcerated. The lesions are worse in the summer, although lupus and pemphigus may also show this seasonal variation. Any of the above diseases may affect the periocular areas. The sudden onset of nasal swelling, erythema, and exudation is often eosinophilic furunculosis; this is thought to be caused by an insect sting or bite. 

Treatment depends on etiology. Diagnostic tests should include skin scrapings, bacterial and fungal cultures, and biopsies for both histopathology and immune testing. If the diagnosis is nasal solar dermatitis, a topical corticosteroid lotion (betamethasone valerate, 0.1%) is helpful in relieving inflammation. Exposure to sunlight must be severely curtailed. Topical sunscreens may be effective but need to be applied at least twice daily. Treatment for eosinophilic furunculosis is systemic corticosteroids, prednisone or prednisolone at 1 mg/kg, b.i.d., for 1 wk, the dosage then gradually
decreased.

Keeping the dog out of the sun and treating the ulcerated area with a steroid preparation will certainly help. Once the nose is healed, it can be blackened with tattoo ink to protect it from sunlight.

Usually the lesions appear as pink, raw areas about the nose and occasionally on the eyelids. The hypersensitive areas may actually ulcerate and develop a crusty scab-like covering. The condition may vary from mild irritation to severe ulcerating lesions that hemorrhage.

Left untreated, severe discomfort can result. As the nasal tissues become deeply irritated, they may crack, bleed and impair breathing. All cases should begin treatment in the early stages. Advanced stages may develop into a form of cancer which can be deadly.

Search 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment