Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Has anybody ever had a pet skunk?  I've heard if you get them very early and have them descented, they're very sweet.  I bet they still have an odor though.

@Kachina624     And they have HUGE claws...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Has anybody ever had a pet skunk?  I've heard if you get them very early and have them descented, they're very sweet.  I bet they still have an odor though.

@Kachina624     And they have HUGE claws...............

Had a neighbor friend who had one. Its was deskunked but yes, still had a faint odor. It smelled like ferrets do. The skunk was cute, not really friendly, but wasn't  aggressive either. I really don't  think they are pet material.

Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a New Pet?

[ Edited ]

Sorry, if I want a "social distance" animal on a leash,  THIS would be it:

image.png

Denise
Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

image.png

@denisemb     I hope you haven't forgotten Roy Horn (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Whoever thought this up is very clever. 😆

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a New Pet?

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

@denisemb wrote:

image.png

@denisemb     I hope you haven't forgotten Roy Horn (!)

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  I tend to believe Montecore was "saving" Roy, as Roy was actively present at the births of the white tigers, plus the experiences with our hybrid F3 bengal cat. 

Denise
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  Yes they do emit and odor all rheir own and their fur is coarse.  I dealt with a vet back in the mid 1990's that had a litter that  he descented and I always wanted one, but mom said NO.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@BlueFinch   I'm not sure I do want one.  How did you handle the babies under the deck?  Must have stunk up the whole area.  I've had them under my backyard shed from time to time and so far, they and my dogs have avoided each other.  During March, breeding season, the stench was so bad some nights, I thought I was going to have to move.

@Kachina624 

This mama was very stealth, like she knew she needed to prevent detection. I never smelled her early on.  When babies were a bit more mature, I started a noise campaign and left outdoor lights on, after reading this may result in relocation. This was a threat and she would spray then, but even then, a small release. She was clearly being conservative with her only defense.   

My plan had worked. One night she moved the babies under the neighbor's garden shed, deciding it was a more peaceful environment.  Good plan, since the property was vacant at the time.  

No skunks here, since, although I can occasionally catch the scent of one not too far away.  Cute creatures, but I never want to go through that again. It was a big hassle, particularly with my 90lb, street jockey rescue dog,  with a high prey drive. 

Respected Contributor

LOL!!!! Now that is a really good one.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GCR18    Are they raised for pets?  I wish you would ask questions as I'd like to know about their personalities.

@Kachina624  I'll get the details.