Respected Contributor

@Foxxee   Depending on what part of the country the photo was originally taken in, it might well be a coy-wolf, as the two species have been documented to cross-breed when ranges overlap.  There has been speculation that the Mexican Red Wolf of the desert southwest and northern Mexico is actually a coy-wolf that has been interbreeding within it's own population for hundreds of years, until it has become an almost distinct species.  DNA analysis is not complete, last I heard. 

What I really want to know is what idiot let a wild canid jump into their car?   But seriously, that canid is quite comfy, and has clearly ridden in cars before, so it must be someone's pet, although odds are it's kept in captivity illegally, as there are few places where one can keep a wolf or a coyote as a pet legally.  I do not understand why some people have to have an exotic pet, what motivates them?  Aren't there enough sweet, lovable, beautiful dogs and cats in shelters all over this country that desperately need homes without people trying to keep wild animals as pets?  Sheesh!

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

@Foxxee   Depending on what part of the country the photo was originally taken in, it might well be a coy-wolf, as the two species have been documented to cross-breed when ranges overlap.  There has been speculation that the Mexican Red Wolf of the desert southwest and northern Mexico is actually a coy-wolf that has been interbreeding within it's own population for hundreds of years, until it has become an almost distinct species.  DNA analysis is not complete, last I heard. 

What I really want to know is what idiot let a wild canid jump into their car?   But seriously, that canid is quite comfy, and has clearly ridden in cars before, so it must be someone's pet, although odds are it's kept in captivity illegally, as there are few places where one can keep a wolf or a coyote as a pet legally.  I do not understand why some people have to have an exotic pet, what motivates them?  Aren't there enough sweet, lovable, beautiful dogs and cats in shelters all over this country that desperately need homes without people trying to keep wild animals as pets?  Sheesh!

@CamilleP 

Depending on what part of the country the photo was originally taken in, it might well be a coy-wolf.  Mexican Red Wolf of the desert southwest and northern Mexico is actually a coy-wolf.

Yes, I heard that. 

it must be someone's pet,

I think so, too.  

Respected Contributor

I love wolves!  If only this was a true story, so long as neither party was harmed, I love it.

Honored Contributor

I think you have too much time on your hands!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.