Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

I groom mine when she's eating.   It doesn't seem to bother her.

I keep the wire brush handy and quickly grab a wet washcloth, if necessary.

She gets a pretty good working-over while she's inhaling her food.   I don't keep food out all day, so she is very well focused when I feed her.

I sometimes have to cut small mats off her.   It's tricky but depending on where the mats are located, you can wrap him in a towel or pillow case.   My Gracie had some mats around her neck so wrapping her in a towel worked for me.   

You don't say how old Percy is, but cats can be trained to accept grooming-- with lots of patience!  My Gracie is 12 and still pretty feisty.

We've even given her a bath at home.   It's an ordeal but we both survive.

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I have my first long haired cat.  He is 23 pounds of Percy.  Have had him since he was 10 weeks old.

He is black and white, and his black fur seems more coarse than the white!  His back half is black fur.  He is not doing a great job grooming it.  This extends to his rear end also.  I detected an odor from him.

He really doesn't like grooming much.  And he is 23 pounds of FAST TEETH when he doesn't like something!  He especially doesn't like his back fur groomed for whatever reason.

He developed a lot of matted fur and he had an odor.  We took him to the vet, where they had to sedate him and shave his entire lower half.

I would prefer NOT to traumatize him and spend a lot.  Anyone have any suggestions on how you groom a long haired cat?  He looks so funny with half long hair and half shaved.  Would like him to be clean and not smell also!

Hyacinth

Percy is 2 years old.  I have had him since he was 10 weeks, so I have been trying to groom him all along.  My husband  tries also, although I think he goes too rough. 

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Im definitely a dog person but I like cats too.   I've long admired Maine Coons and have collected a few pictures of them.   Does anyone have one? 

maine-coon-cats__605.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Im definitely a dog person but I like cats too.   I've long admired Maine Coons and have collected a few pictures of them.   Does anyone have one? 

maine-coon-cats__605.jpg

Percy is about half black, half white in color.  His face looks a lot like this kitty.  He's also big like this.  I think he is at least part Maine Coon.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I've had 4 long hairs and I have three now. They do occasionally get things stuck to their back ends. Mine allow me to wash the area with stuck on things in the sink. Sometimes I've had to clip a small spot off with scissors but I have someone else hold the cat while I do it. 

Has he ever allowed you to brush him? Some cats do bite when brushed because they become over stimulated. The trick with them is do just a little at a time but often. Instead of clipping him everywhere you could keep him in a sanitary clip, just around the back end so it's a clearer path for things to exit and not get stuck.  Also long haired cats need a really clean litter box, because if poop is already in the box near where they squat it can get stuck. I also do not use clumping litter as it can get stuck in the fur of long haired cats. 

Our cats love being brushed with the pin brush. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval