Respected Contributor

I have my first long haired cat.  He is 23 pounds of Percy.  Have had him since he was 10 weeks old.

He is black and white, and his black fur seems more coarse than the white!  His back half is black fur.  He is not doing a great job grooming it.  This extends to his rear end also.  I detected an odor from him.

He really doesn't like grooming much.  And he is 23 pounds of FAST TEETH when he doesn't like something!  He especially doesn't like his back fur groomed for whatever reason.

He developed a lot of matted fur and he had an odor.  We took him to the vet, where they had to sedate him and shave his entire lower half.

I would prefer NOT to traumatize him and spend a lot.  Anyone have any suggestions on how you groom a long haired cat?  He looks so funny with half long hair and half shaved.  Would like him to be clean and not smell also!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003

Petsmart- dematter brush, it cuts the matts out.

Honored Contributor

I know this isn't what you asked, but if he lost weight he would be able to groom himself better and wouldn't have an odor.  23 lbs. is extremely unhealthy for a cat.  From web md for pets.  http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/overweight-cats-diets-and-associated-health-risks

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

My long hair cat had the same problem until I started getting her groomed like this....looks really cute and solved the problem.

Image result for cat shaved like a lion

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono so glad to learn about this; I will look for it at petsmart. I have the same issues with Jack, my oldest cat. 

Valued Contributor

Love the lion cut for tan long hair cats!  After 9 years of constant grooming and de-matting our tan/cream Persian we began to get this cut for her every 6 months.

We have had 6 Persians over the years and most have had silky fur that could be combed fairly easily.  Not this girl!  Now I notice that she responds well to being clipped.  She becomes more playful and loves to be petted.  I don't think she could feel the petting when she was so matted.

Love the photo of this kitty!!

Honored Contributor

I groom mine when she's eating.   It doesn't seem to bother her.

I keep the wire brush handy and quickly grab a wet washcloth, if necessary.

She gets a pretty good working-over while she's inhaling her food.   I don't keep food out all day, so she is very well focused when I feed her.

I sometimes have to cut small mats off her.   It's tricky but depending on where the mats are located, you can wrap him in a towel or pillow case.   My Gracie had some mats around her neck so wrapping her in a towel worked for me.   

You don't say how old Percy is, but cats can be trained to accept grooming-- with lots of patience!  My Gracie is 12 and still pretty feisty.

We've even given her a bath at home.   It's an ordeal but we both survive.

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I have my first long haired cat.  He is 23 pounds of Percy.  Have had him since he was 10 weeks old.

He is black and white, and his black fur seems more coarse than the white!  His back half is black fur.  He is not doing a great job grooming it.  This extends to his rear end also.  I detected an odor from him.

He really doesn't like grooming much.  And he is 23 pounds of FAST TEETH when he doesn't like something!  He especially doesn't like his back fur groomed for whatever reason.

He developed a lot of matted fur and he had an odor.  We took him to the vet, where they had to sedate him and shave his entire lower half.

I would prefer NOT to traumatize him and spend a lot.  Anyone have any suggestions on how you groom a long haired cat?  He looks so funny with half long hair and half shaved.  Would like him to be clean and not smell also!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I know this isn't what you asked, but if he lost weight he would be able to groom himself better and wouldn't have an odor.  23 lbs. is extremely unhealthy for a cat.  From web md for pets.  http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/overweight-cats-diets-and-associated-health-risks

I know what you're saying.  I should have said he is a big cat naturally.  He is possibly part Maine Coon. 

He is supposed to be big!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@moejoe wrote:

My long hair cat had the same problem until I started getting her groomed like this....looks really cute and solved the problem.

Image result for cat shaved like a lion

Oh that is cute!  We get our Pomeranian dog groomed in the lion cut.  We have had so many compliments.  But your kitty truly looks like a lion!!!!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@lolakimono so glad to learn about this; I will look for it at petsmart. I have the same issues with Jack, my oldest cat. 

I doubt most cats will stand for this.