Valued Contributor

Opened the door this morning to let my chihuahua out and a two inch long lizard jumped in.  I am not afraid of them, but don't want to have one crawling on me either.  Anyway, I immediately got the cat in the room and he worked hard at getting that lizard which was under the couch. Then the dog came in from outside and joined in the fun.  They both tried their best, but the lizard managed to escape. He is still in my family room under something.  One of these days someone or something will find him.  It was crazy fun though for a time watching the cat and dog.

Honored Contributor

If you have a little boy in your neighborhood,  invite him in for a cookie and a lizzard chase.  He'll think it's great fun.  He may even catch it.  I had one that spent the winter on some plants in my bedroom.  He never got off of the plants.  He got thinner and thinner; I finally found him dead.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Coax the lizard into a paper bag, like a lunch bag.  You can do this with a small brush......or push him with a soft tissue.   (The lizard is harmless very frightened of you)..........then take it outside and gently shake him out on the lawn or soil............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 So basically you watched a poor helpless little creature starve to death and did nothing to help it (catch it and let it go outdoors)?  Why?  They are not difficult to catch and release in a humane manner. I get them in my house periodically and have no problem catching them and taking them outdoors.  It may "only" be a lizard but it's still a living creature.

Valued Contributor

Please find him and gently place him outside.  It's the very least you could do after letting your pets terrorize the poor thing.  Have some compassion.

Valued Contributor

Re: Lizard got in my house!

[ Edited ]

I would be glad to take him outside, but he is hiding out and I can't find him (or her). Even the animals can't find him.

Anybody know how to coax a lizard out in the open?

Honored Contributor

Get some live crickets.   (not really)

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom

Aw! Please try to get him out.

I love lizards!

They are so sweet and actually like to listen to your voice. 

He or she is probably very frightened.

Maybe put some lettuce or some type of greens  to coax him out and put a box over him, then cardboard under the box and gently take him outside.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

A small salamander got into my sunroom recently. He hid in the bottom corner of the TV armoire on the tile floor. I couldn’t get to him, but figured if I waited he would come out of hiding.  Every time he came out he was too fast for me to catch.

My DH and I did some research and found that spraying a bit of cold water on it will slow him down. Sure enough when he came out we sprayed cold water on him, gently scooped him up in a box, and put him back outside in our garden. 

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I would be glad to take him outside, but he is hiding out and I can't find him (or her). Even the animals can't find him.

Anybody know how to coax a lizard out in the open?

I doubt that lizard'will ever come into the open.  Not after the ordeal it just went through.  Your animals are not going to find and torture it again if he can help it.

i find the your post disturbing and not at all funny.  You thought that was fun?