Honored Contributor

I have 2 cats.  I adopted them at the same time.  They are supposed to be brother and sister but I highly doubt that.

Katie the cat is black and white long haired.  Bill is short hair orange.  He's my baby boy.  He follows me everywhere in the house.  Wherever I am, Bill will be right next to me.

From what we can tell Bill is around 14 or 15 years old.  I think no one told him because he acts more like a kitten (getting into everything and climbing on everything).

I try very hard not to think about Bill's age.  I'm so paranoid about him and his health.

One of my best friend's is my Vet's nurse.  Periodically Bill's pancreas acts up.  I have to mix up the amoxicillan for him.  It's easy to tell when he starts feeling bad; he does what I call snaufing.  It's like a sneeze and a cough.

I have his blood checked every 4 or 5 months just to make sure he's doing well.  It's expensive (around $600 or so but worth it).

When I read here about someone loosing a furbaby, my heart goes out to them.  

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for your kinds words and support ❤ @MalteseMomma  sorry for your lost of.your beloved pet.

@CamilleP had a great idea about volunteering at a shelter if you are able.

@MalteseMomma  Let he memories of your beloved pet strengthen your heart.While the grief you feel is unbearable,the memories of your time together is everlasting.

Esteemed Contributor

@CamilleP 

Thanks so much for your sugestions but I cannot walk or hardly even stand up alone  anymore. I  think I can feed those brand new  kittens that need to be hand fed every hour or so and my name is on their  list.

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma I'm so sorry you're feeling so sad.  But, I totally understand what you're saying, since I'm heading toward facing the same situation.  The dog I have now may have to be my last, as well, second to some health issues, too. I try not to think about it, but when do, it grieves me terribly.

When my husband died suddenly, I fell into a deep depression. The dog we had shared together was all I had left.  He was only six years old, but on the 1st anniversary of my husband's death, I lost him, too.  His immune system went crazy after annual immunizations. He acquired IMHA. I can't describe the sadness I felt.  I think our dog's immune system was already challenged, since he had grieved so much for his doggie-daddy (lying by the door for months waiting for him to come home from work) and couldn't quite understand how our home of love and laughter had fallen silent.

Shortly after losing our dog, I went to a shelter and adopted the dog I have now. A 90lb, GSD/Lab mix.  I was told he was saved by the no kill shelter because he was in the city pound, the next dog to be euthanized, and they felt he had a lot of promise for a new home. I had a feeling he'd been saved for me,  and in a short time, he proved it by saving me, too. My spirits were lifted to the point of going on.  So, I totally understand how healing dogs can be.

At any age health fails, or when we become seniors, pet ownership eventually becomes just another simple pleasure, robbed from us. It's sad and doesn't seem fair, but for those of us who cherish our memories, our pets will always be with us. I know as heartbreaking as it will be to not have a dog, that I would never want to have one I couldn't do the best by. I'm sure you feel the same.  

Maybe you could find a neighbor, or friend who you could dog sit for. Handling short visits, without so much work and responsibility might be doable.  Sharing part time love is important, too.  I saw a program on TV a few years back where seniors were sitters for other's dogs. They developed strong bonds with the pets, AND, the owners, too. It was a very sweet, successful program. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BlueFinch 

YES,I thought of that .It is a very good idea.   Smiley Happy

I will begin with my own family.........lol to see how it goes  My GD lives in Boston has recently adopted a dog. When she last visited her mom/dad of course  she brought her dog with her....

They have small dogs (3)  in their house..lol   and  my GS lives in the basement apt in the same house  has a large dog of his own too. They all get along fine.

Sooooo they all got together,the next day my son calls me and says what a disaster it was when GD appears with her large dog.....I  can only imagine....lol

His 3 (little) dogs had diarrhea all over the house all day,my GS huge Dalmation threw up all over their beds...lol and DS told my GD to  "NEVER BRING YOUR DOG  AGAIN"  ............lol

So I thought I would start my little venture by dog sitting my GD dog when she visits from Boston...lol.......then when the rest of them go away I can sit for them........lol and I can even stay at their home which will be better  those furbabies.......lol

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma That's the spirit!  I think we have to attack this from the standpoint, that we'll crawl, if we have to, to bring joy that may be missing back into our lives.

I think you've got this, with your readiness to accept alternative plans. I can't wait to hear how things work out.  

Throwing in,  even a few happy moments, can go a long way in drowning out some of the sad ones. We need to balance these emotions.  I hope you have a blessed holiday and find many more happy moments. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm awaiting my 10 1/2 year old beagle's pathology report later this week. We know the tumor removed from her leg was a soft-tissue sarcoma. If the tumor was self contained, Maddie will have more time. I pray that is the case. Maddie has gotten us through Covid quarantine and my husband's Alzheimer's. My husband says he wants no more dogs because of the pain of losing them. I get that, but the joy they bring outweighs the pain of loss. I think that once you love a pet, there's room in your heart to love many more.

Honored Contributor

I have always been a dog person,from the time i was a very young child,   not saying i like all breeds, but many i do,i have my favorite, but for a person that can not care for a dog any longer, what about a cat,indoor cat, no walking, just love ,fed,change litter box.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.