Valued Contributor

Last year my rescue chihuahua past away, she was 15 years old,,  I had her for 8 years my heart was broken,I cried for  days. (Also a gift from my son and daughter in  law). iMy  rescue bassethound comfort me, she  to sense the lost .As a  dog lover all my life, I have had dogs that died,  I always say no more pets.

Then on my birthday  in September this year my  sweet daughter- in -law and son gifted me my rescue min pin. At 2 years old he is active and a joy. He follows me  everywhere and is very protective. He and my bassethound, while not best friends,they do not fight,but give each other space. As a recent retiree going on over 2 years (I retired  at 62) I am enjoying this life style,especially  during this covid-19 time with my immediate family, and my 2 dogs. I personally do not write their names or family names. While all God's creatures are special  rescue animals have a special  place in my heart.

What's come to mind is a saying that  my mother, use to say,"their is nothing like child who has it's own. In other words my home is paid for,and I am very comfortable and enjoying life.

Trusted Contributor

@GRACIEBeautiful words by your Mom, and yes rescue babies in my opinion know we have saved them from an uncertain future and love us extra special.  I have 3 older rescue cats that we love to pieces and they bring so much joy to our lives.

Honored Contributor

So wonderful @GRACIE . I've heard many times that having a pet as we age keeps us young as we have a purpose to care for "someone" who needs us.

Also sorry for your loss. Of all my dogs that have joined eachother in a better place, caused months of grief and despair, I would have never traded a moment of our time together to save myself that pain. 

Trusted Contributor

@GRACIE  Happy to hear you have a new addition to your family, especially a rescue dog! ❤️ I hope you All have many happy years together!

We rescued our dog 9+ years ago, and they have been the best years of our lives! He is such a good boy; an absolute joy!! There hasn't been one day of trouble from him. Could Not imagine life without him. 

He was trained to the hilt when we adopted him; he was actually too good. We had to de-program him a little so that he could enjoy being a "dog" instead of a little soldier. 😄 He is still very well behaved, just more relaxed. When he barks, he still lowers his head and looks at me as if to say, "I'm sorry." I always tell him that it's okay, you can bark if you want! 👍 I think I even see him smile at that. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

Is there really life without dogs?  Not for me.  I started at 2 y.o., growing up with my first dog and have never been without since.  All were the best, unconditionally loving friends I've ever had.

And, while they were all dogs -- the same species, each was so individual in their temperaments and personalities. And, from breed to breed.  I learned a great deal from each and every one of them.  They became my teacher; I became theirs.

While every loss was that of a best friend. Of family.  After grieving, I would have to fill the void.  I've always felt my previous dog would want me to do so.  There's always more love to give, and more to get. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Life and pets

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch wrote:

Is there really life without dogs?  Not for me.  I started at 2 y.o., growing up with my first dog and have never been without since.  All were the best, unconditionally loving friends I've ever had.

And, while they were all dogs -- the same species, each was so individual in their temperaments and personalities. And, from breed to breed.  I learned a great deal from each and every one of them.  They became my teacher; I became theirs.

While every loss was that of a best friend. Of family.  After grieving, I would have to fill the void.  I've always felt my previous dog would want me to do so.  There's always more love to give, and more to get. 

@BlueFinch  and everyone else......

Yes,all true but at this time in my life   and I am writing this with tears in my eyes, cause  at 82, I suddenly  can no longer care for one.. Aside from having heart failure, my heart is now also broken. I feel my life  is over and no longer worth living anymore,no purpose to get up in the morning.nothing to do all day.

I should be ashamed at myself as I have a very ,very large,close family I have had a wonderful life and I am greatful  but I don't LIVE with them,they don't need my daily care. Having a furbaby is like having a young child,a baby,. you feed it, bathe it,you take it out and bring it inYou wipe it's butt and pick up after it.... My life centered around my little Cozi Boy.

Cozi died suddenly,I am shocked that a 9 yr old dog that was NEVER sick,Showed no problems at all anywhere ,could suddenly be filled wih unoperable cancer and be advised to let him go...........I am still in shock a month later.How can that be???

So for whatever reason God had in mind,i am trying to be open to. 3 days before he died ,I just happened to say to God,"Maybe you should take him before me"...So He did!...(I always worried about what would happen to him,should I die or something.All he ever knew was me).....Of course I immediately said "No God, please, not now" and made a cross on his little head like i always did...3 days later Cozi was dead!   I am searching for that reason................why????

Thanks everyone for bearing with my heartbreak and listening to me.What I started out to say was,"yes there is so much more love to give,but sometines someone is too weak to be able to give it..........then what??? 

:I am so sad that I cannot have any more furbabies  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma  I am truely so sorry, i know how much i love my babies, and you do also, i miss spirit with all my heart and soul, i dread the day when i can no longer have one,again so sorry.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma   I am so sorry.  I am crying with you.  I can only imagine how hard it would be to come to the realization that you can't have another pet.  I am 64, and I have started thinking about that, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@GRACIE   I am also retired (4 years in May) and we also have two dogs, one we've had since he was 10 months old (he's about to turn 9) and one we adopted from a shelter in February, and they are both wonderful companions to me and to each other, they bonded and became best friends almost immediately upon meeting.  We lost our 14 year old Scottie last November, we only adopted her in June, but we think she already had the cancer that killed her then, the shelter just hadn't diagnosed it.  We knew it was a hospice adoption, given the expected lifespan of the breed.   Before her we had an old Cairn lady we adopted at almost 15, she lived with us 18 months before crossing the Bridge.  I keep my eyes on all the local shelter websites and when I spot an elderly Terrier, which thankfully is not often, I adopt them, knowing we will both be happier.  I love my Terriers (so far I've had Scotties, Smooth Foxes, a Cairn, and now a Manchester) but they aren't for everyone, I know.  I am so very grateful for my boys during this time of isolation in my own home, they make me laugh every single day!

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma   I am so very, very sorry you find yourself at this juncture of being unable to care for a pet in your own home any more!  One suggestion I will make is that you consider, when it is safe to do so in your location, try volunteering at your local humane shelter.  You don't need to clean cages and runs, you can see if they have a program to socialize kitties who are shocked or have gone a little wild after winding up in a shelter.  Shelters may have employees to keep the animals clean and fed, but they may not have time to play with them, hold them and pet them, or groom them gently.  Not all the dogs at a shelter need leash walks, some might just like it if you sit in a lawn chair and threw a ball for them in the exercise yard.  I am sure that volunteering in such a capacity would be much appreciated by the shelter staff and the pets, and that it would give you a "pet fix" on a regular basis as well.  Try calling your local shelter today to see if they are accepting volunteers and find out how you can help.