Contributor

Almost everyday I see a Life Alert commercial on TV.   I think they are great for elderly folks who live alone.  Here's the question, as silly as it may be;  most of us have our doors locked, if a senior calls for assistance, how do EMTs, police, firemen, etc. get into the house?  Do they break in (so to speak) or upon getting the Life Alert service, they're advised on what should be done so resuers can gain entry.  I'm not one for hiding the front door key under the mat and I seriously am curious.  Thank you for any ideas or answers.

Contributor

SO SORRY wrong forum.

Honored Contributor

I highly recommend Sr Safety over Life Alert, Life Alert comes with a contract, Sr Safety does not. Sr Safety comes with a free lock box, in which you secure to the front door handle and put your house keys in it, and it works as a lock which you make up a combination to. They know the combination, and if they are called, they tell the EMT people the combo to get in house.

Contributor

THANK YOU so very much, I never thought of that.

Honored Contributor

When my dad had this service, he completed a form where he designated a secret place outside where a key was hidden.  First responders answering emergency calls were given that information. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Re: Life Alert question

[ Edited ]

My mother's town offered, all those living alone, a lock box made of metal that hangs over the top of the front door.

It's U shaped, you close the door & it's stuck between the top of the door & the top of the door frame.

the first responders (fire marshall for one, i believe) have a master key to all the lock boxes in town so no more breaking down the door.

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Esteemed Contributor

I  probably would be more likely to take the commercial seriously if I did not get robo calls trying to peddle it.  I am not likely to buy anything like this EVER because of  the way they handle the "home invasion" by phone.  Any business that has to do this has to be a scam.  

If I fall and cannot get up.. then let me be... last time my chihuahuas got help... and it was free.  

Respected Contributor

I had this for my elderly mom who lived alone. She always wore it around her neck. It's a great service for emergencies.  Peace of mind for family members 

Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you to everyone for your advice.   Also a  lock box never dawned on me.