Honored Contributor

Let Me Tell you a story about a cat named Bill and a dog named Luna Lee

For a few months now my daughter has been living with me (and her dog...Luna Lee).

As some might remember I also have a cat named Katie (same as the daughter..Humm??).

We finally worked it out that when I called out "Katie..time to eat"  it was about Katie the cat.  Ha!  But that cat hates everyone so she stays hidden.

But Bill, that's another story.  Let's start with Luna Lee just wants to be friends she's a mid size dog (all legs) and is totally trained.  As for Bill the cat, it's not an exaggeration to say "I'm the trained one.  Bill did a good job training ME".

Bill mainly stays toward one side of the house (where my bedroom is) and Luna stays where the kitchen, etc and her Mom's (my daughter's bedroom) is located.

But Bill being Bill has never been one to back down from anything.  He will come out of the room, walk down the hall (think of boom...boom...boom..) and Luna Lee peeks out of the kitchen...she goes running up to Bill and well...a lot of hissing (Bill) and Luna Lee running for HER life. 

Bill has scratched both of Luna's ears, and her beautiful face.  He obviously hasn't seen himself in a mirror because he doesn't seem to realize how small he is when compared to Luna Lee.

The good thing (one of many) about Luna Lee is she will do anything asked for food.  That dog loves to eat.  That's how she's been trained so well.  When she has to go potty (number 2) she will pick up a specific stuffed animal and take it to my daughter.  If it's number 1 she makes a noise.  Number one she goes out into my yard (it's an acre) and comes right back inside.  If it's the other, my daughter goes out with her to clean it up.

This daughter (number 3 I call her sometimes) lives in Colorado.  Colorado is dog country.  You can take your dog anywhere just about.  There are huge dog parks miles wide and long with creeks, etc.  In this area, not much to offer.

I'm sitting here in the TV/family room upstairs.  All is quiet because Luna's mom is out shopping for groceries, Luna is shut up in daughter's bedroom and Bill is back in Heaven on one of his big cat trees. He's a happy camper because his belly is full, I'm sitting across from him and that beast (to him she is) is not in sight.

Poor Luna Lee, her world has been turned upside down.  Her mom flew here when I first broke my back and Luna stayed with my daughter's boyfriend back in Denver.  After 1 month my daughter couldn't be away from here furbaby so she flew back to get her and her car.  Her boyfriend's family lives right now the road so he drove back with her. His mom was also having a back operation.  But he only stayed 1 week.  

I'm still dealing with terrible back pain.  They cemented the vertebra but it didn't help.

Anyway, this is about a cat named Bill and a dog named Luna Lee.  Where was I?

Oh!  So...move forward to Monday this week.  We took Luna over to my other daughter's house so she could watch her (she has a fenced in yard) while I went to 2 doctors and 1 dentist all in one day.  My daughter drives me because it's hard to drive with so much pain.

Guess what people?  Go ahead and guess what my daughter has at her house...come on...hint:  they have whiskers, 4 legs...are you ready?  OK, she has two male cats who have weird names from Harry Potter books..These cats are a little (not a lot) smaller than Luna Lee.  They are both huge cats!  

Luna Lee walks into the house, the two cats come down the stairs and all eyes meet at once and it was a wrestling match (yes there was some physicality going on).  But after examining Luna carefully, it was determined she didn't have a scratch on her.

We decided daughter's two huge cats are more into wrestling than scratching.  Bill is much smaller.  He gets his nails trimmed constantly and these other two (who's names I will probably never learn) have never seen clippers in their life.  They wrestle with each other and my 8 year old grandson plays with them, picks them up and he's never been scratched.

Poor Bill...I'm sitting here with you .... looking at him ....so peaceful and happy...he has no idea Luna Lee is just in the room next to him waiting...waiting for her mom to get back....

It's funny because I've always though that it was the cat who needed protection.  Maybe that's true in some houses.  However, Bill stands his ground and so does those two (whatever their names are) cats of my daughters.  Heck!  Those cats go looking for trouble.  My daughter had to shut THEM upstairs...they kept taunting poor Luna Lee!

No...I think Luna Lee is just a furbaby who wants a friend to play with and the cats are thinking, "Not on on my watch".  Ha!

Do any of you remember the little kid's book "Are You My Mother"?

Are You My Mother? is the story about a hatchling bird. His mother, thinking her egg will stay in her nest where she left it, leaves her egg alone and flies off to find food. The baby bird hatches. He does not understand where his mother is so he goes to look for her.

Are You My Mother? (ebook)

I wonder what Luna Lee is going to do when she is able to run, run, run like she loves to do at HER playground back home in Denver.  I wonder if she'll realize she's back in friend territory?

Humm??? I think she's a quick learner and will realize if she doesn't hear hissing (it sure gets loud) she'll relax finally.

I've only heard her bark once.  It was when the Culligan man came to the back door.

We decided she might be a good watchdog after all.  Naw.....she's still just a lover...

Frequent Contributor

Re: Let Me Tell you a story about a cat named Bill and a dog named Luna Lee

Love your story!  This is the best thing I have read in months.  Hope you are feeling better and thank you for sharing, this made my day.-- Karen

Valued Contributor

Annabel, I think you should write a childrens book. I enjoy your stories and I'm jealous that I don't have any animals to make life more interesting these days. We love all animals but it's not practical at our age to get another. Enjoy your furry friends!

Respected Contributor

I loved reading your story too!   And I do remember the children’s book “Are You My Mother?”  It was one of my kids’ favorite books when they were young. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your engaging

story.Thought that it was absolutely

furbulous and am giving it two paws up! Cat LOL

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws  =^..^=

Honored Contributor

My daughter came home and asked me to read it to her.

This daughter has given up (for now) her life in Denver.  She just walked out of her townhouse and came to take care of me.

She quit her job because (although she can work from home) taking me to so many Drs made it hard for her to be available during the day on the computer.

She's beginning to be ready to get home now.  I'm ready to be independent.  However, my back pain keeps me from being upright on my feet for very long.

The muscle draws up so tight it actually pulls my back to one side or the other; and front and back.

Super Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 , I loved reading your story! You are a very good writer. Poor Luna Lee! 

I am sorry to hear about the pain you are in. I will pray that it lessens for you and you get better.