Trusted Contributor

Have any of you had your dog vaccinated yearly with Leptospirosis vaccine? Pros cons? Any side effects? TIA

Occasional Contributor

My dog just had this vaccine, and had a horrible reaction to it. He was basically in full kidney failure, and we thought we were going to lose him. He still hasn't fully recovered, and he received the vaccine in Nov 2018. Beware. 

Contributor

We had our yellow lab vaccinated last year for leptospirosis. He

didn't have any side effects.

Since we live in Montana where there is alot of wildlife, live across from

a lake and have endless amounts of water fowl in the air and ground the vet

suggested he be vaccinated. We didn't want to take any chances for our

"Benny" to become ill.

Respected Contributor

Pros  are you'd be protecting your dog and yourself from potentally contracting the disease.  you can catch it from your dog if they have it.

Any vaccine has the potential of advirse reactions.  You have to weigh the chances of exposure to sources of infection tagainst the severity of the illness you are protecting against.

Leptospirosis  can be fatal to man and beast.

Honored Contributor

I have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.  My breeder advised me NOT to vaccinate for Lepto.  She said there were too many fatalities with this vaccination with this breed.

My dogs are now 7 and 8 years old and have never had this vaccine.  My Vet had to order their early puppy shots special because this vaccine often is combined with others as one treatment.

I know that if you live near standing water or your dogs can be exposed to it Lepto can be a big concern.  We do not live near any water sources, but my we do have a boat and my dogs go with us all summer long.  We are at the Lake almost everyday in summer months.

I keep a watchful eye on my dogs so that they don't find any trouble and I do not let them explore areas where other animals have urinated or might have.

We do not have a Lepto problem where I live..not common at all.

Regular Contributor

apparently Lepto has become prevalent in my area (mid-Atlantic) and my vet has recommended it for years.  My sweet Gracie who went over the bridge in May received it several times and my new love Charlotte received it when I got her in August.  My vet only gives 1-2 vaccines to small dogs at a time to beware of side effects.  So it took about 8 wks to completely vaccinate Char when she rescued me.  We visited frequently to allow the immunizations and a recovery period.  We participate in a wellness care club, so the visits and immunizations were covered, Char came to know our vet in that time too. No probs with lepto, even at 7lbs

Esteemed Contributor

Lepto is a situational vaccine and you should discuss it with your vet.  It is more prevalent in some areas more than others and can be transmitted in standing water, as little as puddles after heavy rains.  At the very least find out what the symptoms are so you can catch it early should you choose not to vaccinate.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I have four senior adopted dogs. They get the rabies shots and distemper. I got rid of all the other shots.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.  My breeder advised me NOT to vaccinate for Lepto.  She said there were too many fatalities with this vaccination with this breed.

My dogs are now 7 and 8 years old and have never had this vaccine.  My Vet had to order their early puppy shots special because this vaccine often is combined with others as one treatment.

I know that if you live near standing water or your dogs can be exposed to it Lepto can be a big concern.  We do not live near any water sources, but my we do have a boat and my dogs go with us all summer long.  We are at the Lake almost everyday in summer months.

I keep a watchful eye on my dogs so that they don't find any trouble and I do not let them explore areas where other animals have urinated or might have.

We do not have a Lepto problem where I live..not common at all.

@Carmie  If there isn't a lepto problem where you live I'm curious why your Vet had to order the vaccine separately for your Cavaliers.  My Vet doesn't give it as a combined vaccine and rarely gives it at all.  None of my dogs have ever had the vaccine over the years.  I do remember when I got my first Cavalier many years ago my breeder told me to make sure they didn't give it to my dog.  My Vet said they didn't give it except under certain circumstances.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Thank you everyone for your helpful information!