Valued Contributor

Im feeling awful about leaving my kitty at home for 5 days. In the past we have had a sitter come twice a day to feed and check on her. Im wondering if its best to have a pet sitter stay overnight, or are 2 visits per day a good amount of time? 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

@mintedrose - Kitty should be fine with a once a day visit. She will be glad to see you when you get back home! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose I would have someone come to the house at least once a day. My cats like clean litter boxes as most do. IMO 5 days is too long with no human contact. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have that problem. I have an automatic litter box, automatic feeder & water.

If I am not going be home for over a week, off to the kennel he goes where he has his very own 2 story cat condo.

Either way, he does not care.  He is NOT a greeter nor affectionate.

As long as he's fed & litter is available, he's happy no matter where he is.  When I come home from a week's vacation, he will peep out of his room w/that "it's only you" look & go right back to sleep.

When I pick him up from the kennel after an extended stay, he will hop in his crate all on his own & fall right to sleep.  When we get home, he will check his food dish & litter box then go right to his room to fall asleep.  Smiley Sad

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose-

You sound like such a sweet kitty mama!

My 18 year old cat is very content and does fine with a once a morning visit for a week when I go back "home" to visit the other half of my family.

A full can is left and fresh water, and litter and she always looks forward to him coming. He hangs out with her awhile on the couch and they have some tv and petting and talking timeSmiley HappyShe sleeps most of the day of course and the night as well.

I have been so lucky to have him. He has so many people who wouldn't go away without him taking care of their pets.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I always have cats and if (rare time) got to leave have extra kitty litter boxes, water & food and they are happy for 5 days. Half the time I have no idea what they do in daytime. Never see them. LOL Now in a few weeks got to babysit my Grandog, my daughter is leaving for 6 days and got to sleep over in her townhouse, little 7lb yorkie that can't be in my house with the cats, I got to sleep there he gets up 6am for potty & little bit during the day & 10pm last potty so this will be fun. Also my daughter knows I clean so I will be doing that with the hard clean. This dog is spoiled and I already got Grandmom bag with toys & chew bones when he gets depressed that she is not there. Oh he loves Mom Mom but think soon he will realize she isn't there. 

Contributor

Once a day visit should be fine.  Do not leave him unattended for 5 days.  They can suffer from abandonment issues.

Honored Contributor

Cats feel safe and secure in their home.  So a once a day visit to clean & feed the cat is fine.  

Honored Contributor

Kitty should be ok. I agree with twice a day, but then my cats aren't free fed they have two meals. Cats really don't like change so being able to stay home is generally best for them as long as they are cared for by someone. My sister used to pet sit for us and came twice a day and hung out for awhile. We moved out of state though 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Re: Leaving kitty at home

[ Edited ]

Our cat is 10, has health issues and needs to be fed twice a day, so we pay a pet sitter to do that. It’s expensive, but what are you going to do—stay home!?  She is also an anxious cat, bonded to me. I leave my robe out for her to sleep on. We boarded her once, and she refused to eat. 

You could leave a radio on so the house isn’t silent. If she likes to be brushed, the pet sitter could do that.