Esteemed Contributor

We live in a small town house, very small lawn, Association cuts it etc. but it's all spotted with pee etc. from the winter snow, and so my daughter ordered us a lawn pad to put in our garage for him to go on. He is a shih tzu, almost 2 years old, and I got him trained to go out when he was 4 months.  Do you think it will be very hard re-training him to go on a lawn pad in the garage?

I sure hope not.  Anyone here ever have this?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lawn Pads for in the garage

His little brain computer is going to be so confused......good luck with that one.

Is he a squat or leg lifter?

Respected Contributor

I would ignore the brown spots and leave his potty habits alone. You may get him confused where he starts making mistakes inside. The grass will grow and the brown spots may not be so bad by midsummer.

Honored Contributor

@gloriajean   You can pour or spray water on he area after he goes to prevent the brown spots.  Also there are chews to give dogs to prevent the brown spots;

Zesty Paws Stay Green Bites for Dogs - Grass Burn Soft Chews for Lawn Spots Caused by Dog Urine Cran-Max Cranberry for Urinary Tract and Bladder with Apple Cider Vinegar Digestive Enzymes

Respected Contributor

I would not try to re-train the dog to use pads in the garage.  With the warm weather coming your garage will stink.  The dog is used to going outside on the grass so any change will confuse him.  

Good idea to apply water to the spots.  The dog is a small breed.  His output can't be that substantial. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would continue to have him go outside.  You can try and get him to go in one area.  People have good luck with "pee poles".  Basically their own personal fire hydrant 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for posting and letting me know how you feel.

My daughter ordered it and it will be coming in a week, I will try, it would be great for the winter, we are in our 80's and hard to keep up in the yard picking up poop.

Especially in the winter.  If this works it will be a Godsend for us. My Bobby is smart, maybe he'll catch on, he squats, never lifts his leg.  I'll let you know how he does.  My daughter's friend has this, and says it works out well, she has it in her laundry room.  It's either this, or maybe we'll have to get rid of Bobby.

We have a very small townhouse and a small yard, which really is the community's.  We got Bobby the day after we moved here in August of 2020.

He was 2 months old. After that my husband had heart surgery, and has a weak heart, I fell, cracked a couple ribs, and now I'm dealing with a pelvic joint.

If he goes in the garage, I can much easily pick up the poop myself, than outside.  We'll wait and see.

Praying now it will work.

Esteemed Contributor

Holy cow! He won't go on there!! I tried and tried, and finally had to let him outside.  This was at 1 AM and I wanted to sleep!  He's not even 2 yet, will be in June,, so stubborn!   I may have to give up!

Esteemed Contributor

The lawn potty is cancelled now, we will continue to let him outside, but in the winter, put a little wire gate around the patio so he won't go on the lawn, and easier to pick up. The lawn had spots on it from the winter, so that won't happen anymore.