Super Contributor

Re: Laser lights for cat play -- Opinons?

@kitcat51 excelent idea. Tnx

Regular Contributor

Mine will play a little then look at me, they seem to know I'm in control of it. 

Respected Contributor

I would think it would be frustrating for the poor things ....

Super Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@MsCatLuver  I just wanted to add something I found in addition to my previous post.  It was written by a cat behaviorist, Pam Johnson-Bennett:  Cats are tactile creatures and when they pounce on their prey they rely on being able to feel their captured treasure underneath their paws. Cats have carpal whiskers on the underside of their paws (at the wrist) and they use those whiskers to detect movement of prey when they have their paw over it. Imagine doing a great job of stalking and pouncing and repeatedly NEVER feeling as if you’ve successfully captured your intended target. Putting a paw over a laser light is an exercise in frustration.

This was written by Dr. Marty Becker:

But, according to well-known veterinarian, Dr. Marty Becker:

The potential problem with these toys comes because the cat can never “win” the game. Even if a cat catches the dot there’s nothing there. The cat gets all worked up with no resolution — every time. Even in the wild, a hunting cat will catch the prey now and then. But there’s no catching that alluring, fast-moving red dot!

If your cat loves to chase, Dr. Becker recommends using more tangible toys that he can actually catch, as some cats will redirect their frustration in ways that may hurt them or you.

I'm sure I could find more quotes, but I quit looking after posting these two.

@NickNack   Thanks that is what I suspected

Trusted Contributor

My cats love theirs. They know the clicking soundit makes when I start using it and they come running.

They don't get to play with it for too long because of my boredom, not theirs. Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess you have to be careful that the laser light doesn't accidentally shine in the cat's eyes?

Honored Contributor

My 10 yr old never went for the flash light trick.  He does keep "stalking" my aluminum foil balls I make for him from time to time.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I've always been afraid I'd accidentally get it in their eyes.

These cats don't care about playing with lights but previous cats loved chasing the lights.

Honored Contributor

Ours love them! And DH recommends them. He says that they shouldn't be the only toy you use, and keep them away from kitty's face.

I also asked him about the opinions from experts who say cats have to have something to "catch." He laughed and said, "I've never heard that. Just so they have something to enjoy chasing."  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I used to use it with my cat.  He loved it.  I'd have him run up and down the hall a couple times, then toss him one of his toy mice

That is what I do when ready to stop play.  Cats get a toy mouse, dogs get a small treat.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.