Respected Contributor

Labradoodles, a trim & shyness

My neighbor has a beautiful Labradoodle.  She said when she takes  the dog to get trimmed, she appears to be shy and a bit embarassed after her salon trip.  Has anyone ever heard of this?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Labradoodles, a trim & shyness

No.  But, realizing that dogs are a better judge of character that most of us, I'd change spas in a heartbeat!

Our furbabies should be refreshed and happy after a spa day - as we are!

Honored Contributor

Yes, years ago my springer spaniel would be embarrassed the day she would go to the doggie spa.  The next day she would be ok.  I think its a normal reaction for some dogs.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

yes , we had a lahsa apso , and he was so different after  his groomer trip , we thought we had picked up the wrong dog !!. He was back to normal a few days later .

We have a golden doodle now , and he looks sheepish when he comes back and recovers quick .

Honored Contributor

I would wonder about the groomer and the way the dog was treated.  I would go to another highly recommended groomer and see if the same thing happened.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I also had a Lhasa that was very embarressed and self conscious after a major trim.  He would run into  the house and tear into the bathroom to hide behind the toilet.  That only lasted a short while and he was always back to his normal self by the next morning,

I don't think it has anything to do with the groomer especially if it is one you use - some dogs are just more sensitive to the hair cuts but it rarely lasts for more than the day it was done.

Honored Contributor

I have known dogs who were a bit shy or confused post grooming.  If there are doubts about the groomer I would stay with my dog for a visit and observe.  

Don’t know much about grooming personally, my Labradors require only a quick, joyful, dip in our creek, a good combing, a rinse, and we’re off!  Except for NAILS ~ 🤭 OH MY.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

We had Lhasas for years.  Most of the time they were kept with a full, long coat.  I did all the grooming myself, so none ever went to an outside groomer.  One dog did react to any major clipping: licking and biting herself in the shaved area.  After a day or so, she would stop and be fine.  She was reacting to the shaving, not the grooming experience.  She had been used to having long hair, so I figured when she got shaved it must have tickled her and felt strange.

It’s possible the dog’s reaction has nothing to do with the groomer.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I would wonder about the groomer and the way the dog was treated.  I would go to another highly recommended groomer and see if the same thing happened.

Just wanted to add to my post that maybe they are shaving her too close.  Sometimes it's really irritating when they get them so close.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I've always groomed my dogs myself.  Jake, who's gone now, would hold his tail a bit to the side for a day or so after grooming.... it was shaved close (poodle with pompom), and it must have been uncomfortable.  I used to laugh and tell him that I was sorry I broke his tail!

If I didn't do mine at home, and my dogs behaved differently after grooming, I'd probably try another groomer to see if it was the groomer or the grooming causing the reaction.