Esteemed Contributor

LOOKING FOR YOUR ADVICE/OPINIONS

I've been giving my furbaby Bravecto and Interceptor for heartworm and flea/tick prevention.  Now wondering if I should stay with these brands or if there are others which are safer and at least as effective. Per ACO ticks are problematic in this area.

So, would greatly appreciate your experience and opinions as to which brands are the safest and most effective.

Thank you for your advice.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: LOOKING FOR YOUR ADVICE/OPINIONS

I have heard very,very bad reports about Interceptor.

I do not know anything about Bravecto.

I use Frontline for fleas and ticks  and Heartguard for heartworms. I have used both for many,many years on all my dogs with no problems

Vets promote whatever type they are selling at the moment. I did not choose to use the one my vet sugested.

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma

Thank you.  I recently heard Bravecto wasn't good.  That's why I'm questioning my previous choices.

Going to vet next week.  Already nixed two vaccines. Just think so much medicating and some meds are downright dangerous. After researching rabies vac - really freaked, but state law here so it's required. I did get a confirmation from the vet tech that the dose for the 3yr is the same dose for the 1yr. Unable to get 3yr last year because my boy came from out-of-state (another law) but will do this year. Again, thank you for your advice.

Esteemed Contributor

I use SimpleGuard for flea & tick and Interceptor for heartworm for my GSD's for a long time. I haven't had any problems with either.  We have woods around our lot and deer so I'm always worreid about ticks. My female has a sensitive tummy and skin but both work fine for her.

I haven't heard the negative reports for Interceptor. Our vet's office responds fairly quickly to another brand if there's a problem in the market.

These work for our dogs.

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa

To date, no problems either. And, we used to have deer here, but huge housing 'village' going in and haven't seen them around. Find it very confusing re safety of pet meds. I'm gonna question tech vet in-depth, but appreciate everyone's findings.  I trust the Pet Lovers here and value opinions as opposed to online info.

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme  It's a hot topic for sure.  Some pet owners don't believe in using anything, some use a homepathic approach, and others use the commercially manufactured products.  Some like oral and some use a collar.  

YEARS ago (and I realize you're asking about your dog, not a cat) when DH and I got our first cat, we thought we were doing the right thing when we bought him a flea treatment contained in pendant type thing that attached to a collar.  It actually created a very bad sore on the front of his neck.  That experience, plus the fact that I've read certain flea collars for dogs aren't very effective, has made me shy away from them.

More currently, when we adopted our Golden Retriever I took him to the vet for a wellness check.  She recommended Trifexis (oral flea/tick prevention) and Heartgard (heartworm prevention).  I administered both every month believing I was doing the right thing.  Then someone posted here in the pet forum about an ingredient in Trifexis and how dogs were dying from this medication.  I asked the vet about it and she hadn't heard the same information.  I have confidence in her and I had a several month supply of Trifexis on hand.  Even so, the information scared me so much that I decided I wouldn't give that to my boy anymore.  That started me looking for a replacement for the flea prevention, and I wanted it in a topical form.  A groomer suggested K9 Advantix II.  I found out that it covers more than just fleas & ticks, and felt that was a plus because we have a wooded area on our property where the dog often goes.  I've been giving him the K9 Advantix II ever since (several years) and he does fine with it.  No irritation to his skin and I can see it working.  When we're in the woods and I can see little gnats and fleas flying around, they almost seem to make a little cloud above or around him, but it's as if he has a protective shield around him because they never land.  Ticks are plentious here and I've never seen one on him, whereas DH might come inside with one here and there after being out there.  The topical does leave a little oily residue in our dog's fur, but that goes away on its own after a few days or the fur can be spot washed after 24 hrs.  I still give him the Heartgard.  

One word of caution - you have to be careful about the K9 Advantix II if you also have a cat.  It's dangerous for the cat if they lick the wet medicine off the dog.  It's best to keep both separated for 24 hrs.  After that, you can wash the oily residue from the dog's fur.

Esteemed Contributor

I would have this discussion with your vet.  Depending on your part of the country and lifestyle there are certian products that are more appropicate than others.  For what it is worth I have used Revolution for fleas, ticks and heartworm for years.  For my purposes it is very effective and none of the dogs have had any side effects.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

Thanx.  I used to give Jade the K9 Advantix II. When Eddy came thought oral might be better than topical. However, never had any problems with Jade thought there were deer around here at the time.

It's just so much dosing now, I just might go back to topical. The more I read, even with food recalls now, the more concerned I am. Thank you for the advice.

Respected Contributor

I use Revolution on my dog.  It is a once a month topical medication for fleas, ticks and heartworm.  It has been very effective - never a flea and very few ticks and they are almost dead when we take them off.  We check him everyday for ticks as he walks and "hunts"in the woods.  At lleast he thiinks he is hunting - he is on a leash!  Revolution comes in different doses depending on dog weight and my dog is one or two  pounds over the border between dose sizes.  He was taking the larger size and was lethargic for a day after.  We changed to the lower dose and it has been effective with no after effect for him.  He is now ten years old and has been on Revolution that long with no health issues.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23

Thank you.  I have never heard of a heartworm/flea-tick all in one! Knowing you've used this for ten yrs and your baby's doing fine is good to know.  I definitely will look into this. Also appreciate your telling me to go down not up if around end range.

Thanx you!