Honored Contributor

LIFE EXPECTANCY OF GOLDEN RETRIEVERS HAS BEEN CUT BY MORE THAN HALF. WHY?

[ Edited ]
When Dr. Michael Lappin finished veterinarian school in 1972, golden retrievers had a 17 year life expectancy. Today, they only live about ten years. The reasons why are unknown. The dogs die from lymphoma, bone cancers, and blood vessel cancers more than any other American breed of dog. In Massachusetts, Dr. Lappin is currently working with nineteen dogs to determine which factors are contributing to the shortened life expectancy and high rate of cancers in retrievers.

Clarification, Dr Lappin currently has supplied nineteen dogs for the Morris long term study mentioned by the previous poster. Sorry for any confusion.
Honored Contributor

Re: LIFE EXPECTANCY OF GOLDEN RETRIEVERS HAS BEEN CUT BY MORE THAN HALF. WHY?

[ Edited ]

The MORRIS FOUNDATION is conducting a multi-year study which includes 3000 Goldens.  This is a major concern for Goldens as well as Labradors.  The Morris Foundation reported that 

"About 60 percent of Golden Retrievers will develop cancer, and it is the leading cause of disease-related death in dogs over the age of two.”

You can find the Morris Foundation on the web, or Facebook.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
I was just reading about this longitudinal study. Furthermore, the results of a study using veterinary records of male and female Golden's and Labs, compared to other breeds as controls; examined the role of age at time of dexsexing. Male Golden's neutered at six months had higher rates of joint dysplacia and cancer than those neutered at six to twelve months and to male Golden's neutered at older ages. Female Golden's did not show the higher cancer rates at the very early spaying age, but did show the joint damage. The rates of disease in Labs was also discussed. I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to insert a link in the posts on an IPad Mini 2.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
In another study the effect of neutering female Golden Retievers suggests that female hormones have a protective effect against cancers throughout life. This suggests against spaying. In female Golden's neutering after six months raised the risks of one or more cancers three or four times that of non-neutered females. In female Labs the cancer rates were increased only slightly.

Citation: Hart BL, Hart LA, Thigpen AP, Willits NH (2014) Long-Term Health Effects of Neutering Dogs: Comparison of Labrador Retrievers with Golden Retrievers. PLoS ONE 9(7): e102241. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.010224
Trusted Contributor

Could this be, in part, due to bad breeding.   I have been crusading against BYBs (back yard breeders) for years.   I've seen the dramatic rise in allergies in small dogs due to the inbreeding and mixing of breeds.   I have noticed the rise in cancer rates in dogs, too.    I fear GMOs in dog food, too.

Honored Contributor

Awful, heartbreaking disease and I hope we can find the reason and a way to stop this sudden rapid increase in the rate of occurance, and a cure for the disease.  : O {

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

A lot of this problem may be the gene pool is shrinking for these breeds.  The same thing happened to the cocker spaniels after the movie Lady and the Tramp.  I have a vet friend who worries that these breeds are too popular, leading to puppy mill/bad breeding practices and a shrinking gene pool of dogs.  Most shelter dogs are mixed with this breed now at least according to a vet I heard on tv.

Also, since people are villified for buying a dog rather than getting a shelter dog, reputable breeders who turn out animals with great genes are going broke and not raising dogs that add good characteristics to the "dog world."

Super Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

Could this be, in part, due to bad breeding.   I have been crusading against BYBs (back yard breeders) for years.   I've seen the dramatic rise in allergies in small dogs due to the inbreeding and mixing of breeds.   I have noticed the rise in cancer rates in dogs, too.    I fear GMOs in dog food, too.

I'll bet this has a lot more to do with it than spaying and neutering.  I always hate when I hear someone say they bought a puppy from a back yard breeder or pet store.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Trusted Contributor

Because of their high risk for cancer, I have been giving my 4 year old golden  a very natural diet, ( not commercial dry) dry mushrooms, herbs, supplements and any nutrients good for immune system and over all health.  She also gets only pure filtered water, nothing out of the faucet.  She has been on this diet since she was 11 months old.  She definitely does NOT get the average dog diet.. It is worth the extra expense to me.  I love her dearly, and although it is not a  guarantee.... I feel good doing the best I can for her.

Respected Contributor

We have had two beloved Goldens.  One passed at 7 years the other at 8 years.  Both had cancer.  Broke our hearts.