Honored Contributor

Re: Know the Signs/Treatment for Heat Stroke in Pets

@DJP wrote:

I wish people would leave their pets at home where they are safe. 

@DJP 

I completely agree, my boy loves to go on car trips/rides, but he would NOT enjoy sitting alone in a mostly closed up car for shopping trips.....unless it's to Petsmart where he can go in and pick out what he wants, LOL!

Have yoiu ever seen a dog left in a closed car by themselves who acted/seemed like they were happy about it? I sure haven't.

They're usually nervous/shaking, barking like mad for their owners to return or from being scared by the strangers close to the car, peering in at them.

AND....there's always the risk of a passerby breaking into the car to steal your fur baby because they're so dam cute or they can resell them on Craiglist.

It happens all the time.....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@candys mine 

So true!

Even bicyclers who have a leash attached to their dog, forcing them to run at a faster pace, the rider doesn't get tired out quickly, but they aren't running!

Also on that subject, walking your pet on asphalt (especially), concrete or paved roads get very, very hot for the pads on their feet, make sure you check them.

Our boy gets a 1.5 hour walk on a wooded walking path (2 miles) as soon as the sun comes up and another one right before the sun goes down.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@shopperqvc wrote:

And just as that black shirt you wear gets hot in the sun, so does black fur absorb the heat more. Don't let a lab run or even lay in the sun for a long period of time. As a reference for that remember Chaz's dog a few years ago. He didn't realize his dog was overheating until it was too late. That dark color absorbs more quickly.

I have one black dog seen in my profile pic. She has a baby pool she likes to relax in when she gets hot. She's our only dog that likes water. She lays in it so much I started a thread saying I need one of those blow dry things that car washes have at my back door. 

Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

I have never seen a happy dog left in a car alone. Like you said they bark, shake and are scared. It's so sad, but at the same time it really upsets me. People that treat their dogs/pets that way should not have any.