Respected Contributor

My cat, Iris, who is about 13 years old, is having a bladder issue.  She is also diabetic and has had a sensitive GI tract!

She has just had her 3rd episode of bloody urine.  Might even be 4th, the last 2 within less than 2 weeks.  She has been treated with Convenia, which seemed to work well.  However, she should still be under the effects of the last Convenia injection, and it happened again last night.  This time they extracted a sample to send for culture and sensitivity, did an ultrasound (has had x-ray before), gave us pain medication, and some glucosamine they have been having success with.

They are wondering if it is an infection or a disorder of an inflamed bladder.  We've had a lot of medical issues (GI tract also) with her lately!

Wonder if anyone has had this issue with a pet and what it turned out to be.......

Thanks,

Hyacinth

Occasional Contributor

Re: Kitty with bladder problem

I had an older kitty who had bloody urine issues.  My vetinarian thought it was crystals in her urine due to eating fish flavored wet food.  We changed her to chicken and things got better for a while.  So sorry to hear about your cat.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Our cat had bloody urine once and I remember we stopped giving her dry food on the recommendation of a cat person at petco. Also Hill Science diet for urinary care for older cats.

I also gave her 100% pumpkin, a few tablespoons mixed in food a day.

Also some say put tuna juice in her water to encourage her to drink.

At first though we took her to the vet who put her on antibiotics. 

From then on we only gave her wet canned food. Though we did give her crunchy treats.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Oh @hyacinth003,

and it turned out to be a urinary tract infection. The antibiotics and stopping dry food took care of it,plus continuing on the Hills Science diet for urinary health (at any pet store).

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

My cat, Iris, who is about 13 years old, is having a bladder issue.  She is also diabetic and has had a sensitive GI tract!

She has just had her 3rd episode of bloody urine.  Might even be 4th, the last 2 within less than 2 weeks.  She has been treated with Convenia, which seemed to work well.  However, she should still be under the effects of the last Convenia injection, and it happened again last night.  This time they extracted a sample to send for culture and sensitivity, did an ultrasound (has had x-ray before), gave us pain medication, and some glucosamine they have been having success with.

They are wondering if it is an infection or a disorder of an inflamed bladder.  We've had a lot of medical issues (GI tract also) with her lately!

Wonder if anyone has had this issue with a pet and what it turned out to be.......

Thanks,

Hyacinth

I had a pet with bladder issues.  Blood in urine several times.  Avoiding the litter box and peeing blood in front of the door while I was watching as to say 'help me'  Different vets recommended meds, different diets, nothing worked until I found an excellent 'cats only' vet.  After hearing the history of suffering she figured out immediately that my poor cat had a bladder stone.  BTW, he had X-rays before and nobody found it.  After that pesky stone was removed he was good as new and never had another problem.  He was also put on pain meds for a while because bladder issues hurt and cats try to avoid peeing which aggravates any problem.  For some strange reason a lot of vets still don't give meds for pain. 

Honored Contributor

My 12 year old  "boss' cat -Woman Wink had bladder issues in 2021---not involving bloody urine,  just got very sick and had to have a battery of tests--she ended up with bladder stones--so I changed her diet and after about a month, she had all those tests again and was clear of them. I stayed with that diet until now, when she has thyroid issues and now on meds. I think stones can cause bloody urine too--just wondering if in all those tests that was something they looked  for..it was an x-ray I think----

Respected Contributor

Have an update on Iris.

Her urine culture came back with a type of e coli bacteria not covered by the antibiotic injection she had.  So the vet put her on Amoxicillin and we will recheck her urine after we are done.  He put her on a veterinary glucosamine supplement that has been shown to help bladder inflammation.  We think of it for joint pain, but they've discovered this use.  She is still on pain medication. 

I think she seems a bit better.  She seems to be eating a bit more.  She is a diabetic so her insulin/food balance has to be considered too.

She's been through a lot lately and I hope she can be better for awhile.

Hyacinth