Frequent Contributor

My one cat, 18 Lbs., uses an extra large cat box with a high cover. He likes the privacy and it keeps litter in at least on 3 sides. I use a textured cat mat in front of the opening that helps with tracking. I see them often at Ross at a good price; the same type mat at pet stores are double to triple the price. At Ross, you May have to search & wait for more to come in.

I have given up on loose cat litter. What a mess, I have tried all kinds of litter and now use the pine pellet type. My cat doesn’t mind it at all & only a few pellets ever get tracked out. It doesn’t clump the urine, but it’s very easy to clean out. The pellets dissolve to a sawdust consistency & it’s easy to sift out. Poop is also easy to see & take out. There is a newspaper pellet type & I don’t care for that at all. I don’t know how people who use this even clean out the waste. Stay with the pine pellet.

My cat seems to have Velcro paws & gets pellets stuck to him and out of his box, but it is only few pieces and so easy to pick up. HTH

Honored Contributor

Re: Kitty litter help

[ Edited ]

Litter box with taller sides.  I used to get them at Walmart.

Regular Contributor

I purchased an enclosed litter box from Amazon when I was having the same problem.  I think it had a clear top.  Kitty is gone now. I remember thinking it was a little expensive but it was worth every penny.  The mat under the front of it to catch particles when the kitty emerges is a good idea too.  Good luck!  I remember how crazy it made me.

Valued Contributor

I use the Tidy cats Breeze system.  It's pellets.  Once your cat gets used to it, it is great!

Frequent Contributor

I use a covered litter box that has a clear swinging door.  I got it from Chewy.com.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cookinfreakI feel your pain, having a similar situation.  Although I always have shoes on, so I don't feel it so much as hear it.

I'm looking at something at amazon...a "litter trapper."  

In the meantime, I've got a short handled broom and dust pan nearby.

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

Another vote for the Tidy Cats Breeze system!  Once I found litter on top of my bed from my cats picking it out if their feet, I knew there had to be a better way.  I found the Breeze system and it is more expensive at first.  I replace or add pellets every 2-3 months.  I have 3 cats, use 2 boxes and replace the pads twice a week.  There is no dust, no tracking and no smell.

Valued Contributor

Some kitties like to make a mess no matter what. Litter mats didn't work for me. I use a bath mat towel to trap most of the litter and a small bath rug by the door. He likes to lay on the rugs. Cats ol.

Contributor

Try a top entry box. 

F7FF0444-5651-4F5C-BC84-9CA003A94B4E.jpeg

Respected Contributor

The litter mat works great.  WM sells them also.