Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone had a solution for cat litter everywhere around the cat box. I have the litter box in my downstairs bathroom and I could sweep up litter every 1/2 hour. Does anyone know of someway to eliminate so much of it everywhere? I have a litter box that resembles a baby buggy. It is higher in the back so not as much gets behind the box, but it is on the floor, on the rug, in the sink. So gross to me when I go to use the bathroom and step on litter in my stocking feet!

TIA

cookin

Honored Contributor

Do you use a litter mat?  My litter box is in the tub in a spare bathroom with a large litter mat under the front of it.  I still have some litter tracked a little bit but not a lot.  I ordered it from Amazon--couldn't find what I wanted locally.  I just tried to find mine on Amazon, but they no longer sell it.  It's great, and I just shake the litter back into the box.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

My cat enjoys the dig before she goes so litter everywhere...my solution was to put her litter box inside a larger one so there's plenty of room on all sides to catch what she knocks out. 

Respected Contributor

I have the same problem. My cat's box is in the laundry room and they get litter everwhere. I tried putting training pads around box but ti is still a mess. Afraid to try and change litter box to one with higher sides because cats are so finicky about their box. 

Valued Contributor

@NickNack 

What is a litter mat? The bathroom I have the litter box in is just a 1/2 bath-no tub

Thanks

cookin

Honored Contributor

Re: Kitty litter help

[ Edited ]

@cookinfreak wrote:

@NickNack 

What is a litter mat? The bathroom I have the litter box in is just a 1/2 bath-no tub

Thanks

cookin

@cookinfreak   Go to Amazon and search for Gorilla Grip Litter Mat.  It's just one example.

I would post a link, but it would be deleted.  It's just a mat that you put a little bit under and in front of the litter box.  The cat steps out of the box onto the mat, and the litter will be trapped in the mat.  The mat is usually made of something like silicone that will encourage the litter to stay on it instead of tracking.  The one I posted is just one example.  You can do a search and read the reviews.  Make sure to look at the size and get one that's large enough.

I knew yours wasn't in a tub. They aren't made for a tub.  That's just where my box is.  I've used them when my litter box wasn't in a tub, too.

Edited to add a picture of a litter mat.  They all look a little different.  This isn't the one I told you to search on Amazon for.  I wasn't able to copy that picture.

product-image-879664859_large.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have on entrance to littre box an old piece of carpet, this catch everything, and our cat likes to wipe himself on this carpet, so we have couple piece we switching every few days, and we clean used - just  by shaking, or sometimes need to rinse with water dirty spots 

Honored Contributor

I have two cats and two litter boxes.  They are quite large with high sides (2 of the sides are higher)  One faces the kitchen sink cabinet and the other faces a bath tub.

So weird to me because they use one for poop and the other to pee in.  They never mix them up.

Before I bought the larger boxes (I got them on Amazon, I think) they would push it out all over that bathroom floor.

Now very little gets on the floor.  A little still does.  I also have a mat that is made specifically to catch the litter from the bathroom to the hall way..  

Still with all of that, a little gets out.  Try getting a bigger box or two.

They're just doing what cats normally do.  They are just having a hard time of covering up the poop.  I think you just need one or two bigger boxes (with higher sides).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cookinfreak -

I use the Breeze kitty litter.

It originally is more expensive getting the box and tray but then you rarely use as much litter as others.

Instead of the breeze pads I get thick depends type bed pads and cut them to fit.

Then I tape baby diapers on the back and to the wall.-Perfect! 

You might find one or 2 pellets on the floor if at all.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

My litter boxes set side by side without any gap between them. They're on a heavy duty cardboard platform that is elevated about 2" so air circulates below.

I've put up thinner cardboard "walls" that force the cats to enter and exit in the same place each time, and there is a mat there that catches most of the litter that's clinging to their paws.

At one point I walled in a channel about 12' long, with long loopy rugs to catch the litter as they walked through. I could shake those out outside.

The "walls" are easily moveable so I can clean litter, and I do replace the walls with new cardboard periodically.

My litter boxes are in the basement. I've learned if the cardboard walls aren't high enough the cats will jump over instead of leaving by the opening.