Respected Contributor

Re: Kitty helped by arthritis medication

@NAES1 wrote:

@hyacinth003 

Can you or have you done muscle injections?

@NAES1 

I am an RN and have given numerous injections to my kitties.  2 get insulin now.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@We rescue cats wrote:

Have you tried Cosequin? We give 2 capsules each morning (open and sprinkle on his breakfast) to our 22 yeaer old kitty. It helps hi a lot but it takes a week or 2 to show the effects.

@We rescue cats 

We are using Cosequin on another kitty.  It was suggested twice daily for her chronic urinary infections.  I think it has helped her.

Hyacinth

Contributor

Now 3 weeks after Solensia injection -- my sweet Calico is like her teenage self....into all kinds of climbing and exploring! She also has such a content outlook when lounging that I haven't seen in years. 

Wonderful to see!

I purchased a few new toys and she played today. I admit, there was some catnip inside the toys...but still it was more activity than usual. Smiley Happy

Does anyone have any experience with if you find you have to stick to the every 4 weeks, or is there any wiggle room to extend to say, 6 weeks (mainly due to cost)?

Thanks & take care Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@konasMamma 

Your vet said he'd offer to have you give it at home. We do, no big deal. Ask what kind of cost savings you can get for doing it yourself.

Our cat's been on it for 4 months and I would not mess with the schedule. In our case, it begins to fade after week 3 of the month. She has other pain medication for issues besides arthritis and this acts as a bridge, but the difference is noticeable.

We noticed the biggest "bump" in pain reduction after injection #2, which is to be expected. Even so, she still slumped at the end of week 3. When we gave it to her at the end of week 4, she perked right up.

We've realized that it's given her an ease of movement and reduction in pain that's worth cutting our budget in other areas. As you know, cats are so stoic about pain and to see that pain taken away has been worth some budget trimming elsewhere.

Good luck to you and your kitty!

Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@konasMamma 

Your vet said he'd offer to have you give it at home. We do, no big deal. Ask what kind of cost savings you can get for doing it yourself.

Our cat's been on it for 4 months and I would not mess with the schedule. In our case, it begins to fade after week 3 of the month. She has other pain medication for issues besides arthritis and this acts as a bridge, but the difference is noticeable.

We noticed the biggest "bump" in pain reduction after injection #2, which is to be expected. Even so, she still slumped at the end of week 3. When we gave it to her at the end of week 4, she perked right up.

We've realized that it's given her an ease of movement and reduction in pain that's worth cutting our budget in other areas. As you know, cats are so stoic about pain and to see that pain taken away has been worth some budget trimming elsewhere.

Good luck to you and your kitty!

Thanks so much, Sammycat1 --- your experience shared here was really helpful.Smiley Happy

4 weeks = committed it is!

As it turns out, the last 48 hours I have notcied a big change in her. Very similar to the  slow down I noticed prior to the vet suggesting Solensia. She seems to have less enthusiasm for everything in general....eating too, and goes to hide and sleep more.

The exciting thing was, I actually think she is brighter too when she had the relief! Just as you mentioned --- your kitty "perked up".

You are so right about finding a way to work it into your budget. Of course, that was my thinking to see of we could stretch it to 6 weeks. This is not not what is going to happen. Like so many, I feel I continue to figure out new and creative ways to cut back in order to afford what really seems to matter. Heart

Our vet charges 80.00 per injection --- that is "no charge" for the tech to adminster. It is 80.00 whether we do it there or bring it home. I was interested to compare what others pay.

We recently lost her buddy/sister, so with all the hiding I assumed she was adjusting and depressed (kind of like her humans....still depressed and adjusting) Anyway, the Solensia has been a game changer -- and much more noticable improvement than the Cosequin was for her. 

We have an appointment for her on Saturday. 

I will be watching to see how #2 does anything more. 

My Mom is a retired RN who was gracious enough to give a previous dear cat sub q fluids. It is nice to see people here are doing it themselves.....I am hoping we can work up to that. 

Take care and thanks again Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@konasMamma 

You may also ask your vet for something called Adequan.  It's an injectable medication originally made for dogs but has helped our cat as a supplement to the Solensia. (She actually was  on the Adequan first). It's like Cosequin to the 10th power.

Usually they start for a number of injections, then slowly taper. Maybe it's something your kitty can use as a bridge when the Solensia starts to wear off.

Our cat has osteoarthritis (which the Solensia covers) and our vet believes IVDD, a spine problem.  So she needs coverage for both. The Solensia has been a game changer; I think we would have lost her without it.

Let us know how your kitty's appointment goes!

Oh, our Solensia is $80 if we give it ourselves, higher if it's done in the vet office. 

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

My cat, 15 yrs., has been on Dasuquin Advanced sprinkle caps for about two months.  She had stopped jumping and was a little limpy when getting up from laying down.  She has resumed  jumping, although cautiously.  She loves the sprinkle caps.  I first spray a fine mist of water on her kibble then sprinkle the Dasuquin so it sticks to the kibble. She is now on maintenance, every other day.  

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@konasMamma 

You may also ask your vet for something called Adequan.  It's an injectable medication originally made for dogs but has helped our cat as a supplement to the Solensia. (She actually was  on the Adequan first). It's like Cosequin to the 10th power.

Usually they start for a number of injections, then slowly taper. Maybe it's something your kitty can use as a bridge when the Solensia starts to wear off.

Our cat has osteoarthritis (which the Solensia covers) and our vet believes IVDD, a spine problem.  So she needs coverage for both. The Solensia has been a game changer; I think we would have lost her without it.

Let us know how your kitty's appointment goes!

Oh, our Solensia is $80 if we give it ourselves, higher if it's done in the vet office. 

Good luck!

Thank you, Sammycat1,

Glad to compare that you are paying 80.00 as well. I am in Florida, but I assumed if it is new, it may be the same $ all over.Smiley Happy

I will surely keep the suggestion of Adequan in mind. This is truly helpful as I like to go prepared -- I feel some vets are wonderful at suggesting what is availble, and some I have had to really do my homework. I still do my homework/be an advocate as best I can, of course!

She had her #2 Solensia this afternoon. Seemed more upset when she returned home, but there were 6 dogs in the waiting room! We are definitely planning to adminster #3 here at home! She generally does okay, but who (cat) wants to go to the vet every 4 weeks and travel?

I am sorry to hear of your dear Kitty's conditions, but glad to hear that you have a supportive treatment plan in place. It is a blessing to have treatments available.

Thanks again, 

take careHeart