Respected Contributor

Kitty Burrito = Pilling Success

I've been dosing my cat who may have an oral carcinoma with liquid buprenorphine, which has to be given under the tongue or in the cheek pouch.

Since the tumor or infection is under the tongue, I've been trying for the cheek pouch, but it's been a struggle. Tammy is a wild one. After watching Kitten Lady do the burrito on a new foster (a most adorable kitten, Chickpea) who has a severe overbite, getting her to latch and eat, I thought I'd try it on Tammy. Never thought it would work, but she seemed to like being bundled up and was almost docile about the infusion. Actually got it under her tongue (the good side) this morning.

I should have had a clue that this would work because Tammy likes enclosure. During the winter she prefers to burrow into the thick fleece blankets I have on her big bed instead of sleeping in her heated bed. She does something similar in hot weather, going into a small space under the big bed to sleep.

If you have to pill a difficult cat and never thought this would work, you might want to give it a try. It's just swaddling the cat completely, to contain body and paws, and then medicating. Search "kitty burrito" for more info.

Respected Contributor

Re: Kitty Burrito = Pilling Success

great suggestion, thank you. One of my cats has needed antibiotics at various times for a respiratory condition and boy she is not cooperative at all. the next ime I have to do it I'll give this a try.

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad you've found something that works @noodleann !

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann 

We had a cat notoriously difficult to pill or given any meds to--the burrito failed miserably.  Enter the "cat in a bag" or "cat sack."  These things safely restrain the kitty. Just FYI for those kitties who get passed the kitty burrito, as they usually eventually do.  They're not stupid!

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@noodleann 

We had a cat notoriously difficult to pill or given any meds to--the burrito failed miserably.  Enter the "cat in a bag" or "cat sack."  These things safely restrain the kitty. Just FYI for those kitties who get passed the kitty burrito, as they usually eventually do.  They're not stupid!

Duly noted, and one's in my Amazon cart now. Will see how the next couple of days go before I buy one. 

I know that Tammy isn't stupid, and so far she's trusting enough to let me get things done. I'm spending a lot of time with her to dilute the impact of the visits with the meds. So far, so good, but thanks for the tip on the burrito.

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann 

They're handy to have in a pinch.  Our one kitty who passed away last summer just hated being given oral medications, and she escaped the burrito often. We called her "kitty of a thousand legs," because that's what it seemed like, with those thousand legs seeming to poke simultaneously through the burrito.

She tolerated everything else so well -- trips to the vet, blood draws, injections. But she drew the line at any oral meds.  Here's a pic of our beloved Fay Wray, with all the stubbornness and sweetness only a tortie can have:

Fay Wray sun patch.JPG

Respected Contributor

"Kitty of a thousand legs" is a very funny image, @Sammycat1 , but a nightmare if you've got to get that medication into them. The burrito worked again tonight, but containing those front paws was a challenge. I think I better order the cat bag.

I had a dark tortie once, Badu, who looked very like Fay Wray. Fortunately, she had no health problems up until the last couple of months, when cancer got her, too.  She was whip smart and guarded the property. I remember watching her face off with a deer on the other side of the chain link fence. She sat there, immovable, not a foot from this frustrated doe who kept pawing the ground and stamping and snorting. Badu wouldn't budge. The only thing that shook her was a bear who commandeered the bird feeder. That was the year I stopped feeding the birds year 'round.

I hope Frankie is doing well. For all her issues, she has real cat aplomb.

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1, I have ordered a cobalt Cat-in-the-Bag for Tammy, who's quickly tired of the charms of swaddling. It'll get here in time for Thursday evening's meds.

It's too bad you can't hypnotize cats and slip them their meds when they're in a trance. But I shouldn't whine. Tammy's doing very well.