Trusted Contributor

I have a 14 year old Pom who has been diagnosied with kidney disease. She is a very finiky eater so I will have to make her food which is no problem. I have looked on line without much and the ones I've found have chicken fat added.  Where one would get chicken fat, I have no idea. Could anyone either post some recipes or where I can get them.

TIA!

Contributor

From book Barkers Grub-20 year old book so not sure if in print now.

1 cup lean ground beef or ground chicken

2 tablespoons olive oil. 

2 cups cooked white rice

1/2 cup of more beef or chicken broth

You are supposed to brown meat with the olive oil then drain grease like normal. If dog likes, make it soupy with more broth to help flush kidneys. 

Since too much meat can tax the kidney, once a week do cleansing meal 

6 large hard boiled eggs

1 and 1/2 cups cooked white rice

1heaping tablespoon cottage cheese

1/2 cup broth if dog prefers soupy

Since no veggies here make sure you give vitamins or veggies as snacks or treats

No dog with kidney issue but made for them anyway and they loved it. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much!  I'll run this by her vet and see what she says. I was thinking about adding some pumpkin to help with constipation.  Right now I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Respected Contributor

@arrabella  there is a product called schmaltz.  it is used in cooking jewish foods.  i remember we sold it (forever ago) in the kosher deli i worked in.  it is rendered chicken fat, used for making matzo balls and some other things i believe.  i'm sure you could google it and find it on amazon, or if you live in a populated area maybe find it in a kosher deli type of place or market. 

Trusted Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@arrabella  there is a product called schmaltz.  it is used in cooking jewish foods.  i remember we sold it (forever ago) in the kosher deli i worked in.  it is rendered chicken fat, used for making matzo balls and some other things i believe.  i'm sure you could google it and find it on amazon, or if you live in a populated area maybe find it in a kosher deli type of place or market. 

Thanks!  I had no idea where to look for it.

Respected Contributor

@arrabella , my Maltese is 15, and she has to be on a kidney due to her heart meds.  She hates the prescription diet, every type, flavor, etc.  So I give her Dr.Harveys kidney supplement mixed in her food.

The key to kidney failure or over taxing them, is to keep the Phosphorus content as low as possible.  No salt either.

One food I found the lowest in phosphorus is Basics salmon and potato from Blue Buffalo,  and she likes it.

Also after much much research on home cooked lowest in phosphorus and healthy is beef, then it increases in turkey, chicken and pork.  My recipe is:  ground chuck lightly fried in coconut oil and or olive oil, either white rice, or orzo pasta(cooked separately then mixed in the meat), I add a little unsalted butter to the pasta or rice.

I add 1/2 can of pumpkin,  and about a 1 tsp tumerick, and some fresh ground black pepper (a catalyst for tumerick) .  I make about 1 lb of beef, and 1/2 box of pasta.  I freeze portions in containers that last a few days servings.  I mix in the kidney supplement when I feed.  Teaspoons last kidney blood test showed she is stable, to continue what I'm doing.  HTH🙂

Trusted Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@arrabella , my Maltese is 15, and she has to be on a kidney due to her heart meds.  She hates the prescription diet, every type, flavor, etc.  So I give her Dr.Harveys kidney supplement mixed in her food.

The key to kidney failure or over taxing them, is to keep the Phosphorus content as low as possible.  No salt either.

One food I found the lowest in phosphorus is Basics salmon and potato from Blue Buffalo,  and she likes it.

Also after much much research on home cooked lowest in phosphorus and healthy is beef, then it increases in turkey, chicken and pork.  My recipe is:  ground chuck lightly fried in coconut oil and or olive oil, either white rice, or orzo pasta(cooked separately then mixed in the meat), I add a little unsalted butter to the pasta or rice.

I add 1/2 can of pumpkin,  and about a 1 tsp tumerick, and some fresh ground black pepper (a catalyst for tumerick) .  I make about 1 lb of beef, and 1/2 box of pasta.  I freeze portions in containers that last a few days servings.  I mix in the kidney supplement when I feed.  Teaspoons last kidney blood test showed she is stable, to continue what I'm doing.  HTH🙂

Thanks so much for your reply.  I'm keeping your recipe for making some at home. Right now she is eating Royal Canin Renal support E.  I was totaly surprised as she is a fussy eater! If she stops eatin the canned food, I'll definatly try your recipe.  Thanks again!