Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kennel Cough Shot - "Routine"?

@Carmie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@redwingsgal wrote:

Our yellow lab was NEVER boarded and we did not give her the Bordetella vaccine, which, by the way is NOT a shot.  She got kennel cough somehow and somewhere other than through boarding.  If you have ever had a dog go through what my Maggie did, you will continue to get them the Bordetella.  I would never put a dog through that again

The vaccine can be administered as a nasal spray or an injection.

I could be wrong, but I think only cats can get the nasal spray.  Dogs are by injection only.

Also, the vaccine is not very effective.  

Dogs can also get the nasal form. 

It is not effective, whilch is why I do not get it eventhough my dogs are in contact with a large number of dogs on a regular basis.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@RinaRinaIt depends on where your dog goes.  If you take him to the groomers... or board your dog... or take him to doggie day care...YES. Get the shot.  Otherwise I would say no.

I do agree with you, @SeaMaiden if the dogs require the above scenarios you mentioned, they won't let your dog(s) participate without most of the 'routine' vaccines including the Kennel cough vaccine. I had to board my teacup and Pom  for a week, to go on vacation, and put them through all the required shots. I came home to a very traumatized Pom. Hair fell out, etc. Never again for me, but I do see where if you travel or work long hours and need those services, you don't have much choice, unfortunately. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@redwingsgal wrote:

Our yellow lab was NEVER boarded and we did not give her the Bordetella vaccine, which, by the way is NOT a shot.  She got kennel cough somehow and somewhere other than through boarding.  If you have ever had a dog go through what my Maggie did, you will continue to get them the Bordetella.  I would never put a dog through that again

The vaccine can be administered as a nasal spray or an injection.

I could be wrong, but I think only cats can get the nasal spray.  Dogs are by injection only.

Also, the vaccine is not very effective.  

@Carmie  My dogs have always gotten the nasal spray.  I didn't realize an injection was possible as none of the Vets I've used in the past gave an injection.  I didn't used to give them the bordatella vaccine, and one of my dogs got kennel cough from a Rescue that I had in my house overnight.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@RinaRinaIt depends on where your dog goes.  If you take him to the groomers... or board your dog... or take him to doggie day care...YES. Get the shot.  Otherwise I would say no.

yes, we do a groomer. So we get the shot. 

Respected Contributor

I get them the vaccine only if I board them.  It's required.

The shot takes 10 to 14 days to become effective, but it will last for one year.

The nasal spray is effective within 24 hours, and it will last for 6 months.

The place that I board them requires the six month method and I have to show proof.

My vet prefers the nasal spray method but it can be tricky to administer with some dogs.

With my old shih tzu we had to cover his eyes so he couldn't see it coming at him, then hurry and spray.   Then he'd shake his head and get irritated.

Trusted Contributor

Most if not all boarding places require all immunizations including Kennel Cough.  If you are not planning on Boarding your dog, then I guess it is your decision.  Jus like all other immunizations

Honored Contributor

I always have my dogs get the bordetella vaccine and I was recently very glad I did.  Two of my three recently got out if the yard and somebody took them to our municipal shelter.  One of the two I just adopted and he hadn't been given the bordetella vaccine.  Within 24 hours of getting back home, he had a hacking cough.  Trip to vet for antibiotics = $100.  Neither of the other two, who had the vaccine, showed any symptoms and are fine.

You never know when your dog might cone in contact with an animal with kennel cough, although you don't plan on it happening.  They even had me use the back door at the vet's office, it's so contagious.>

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

No, never. Most veterinary clinics try to guilt you into these vaccinations, by making you feel like you're a bad canine or feline parent.

Veterinary clinics today, prey on ppl's emotions. I have a 9 yr old Golden Ret and a soon to be 6 yr old Morkie. Both well behaved, healthy, happy dogs.  Our last trio, were black lab, teacup poodle, pomeranian. All lived 13-15 years old. 

ITA!  It's as if they took at class in Vet school called, "Make the income of a brain surgeon".

Last summer I spent $$$$$ trying to stop my dog's itching.  After wasting so much money at the Vet, one day, on the fly, I stopped at a "designer" pet store I used to frequent and bought my dog's old food.  Thanks to the smart ladies' suggestions on this message board, I bought him "lamb".

Bingo!  The itching stopped.

All the drugs (Apoquel), skin applications (Chlorhexidine) were a total waste of money.

I completely disagree with this statement.  Vets do not make anywhere near the amount that a physician does.  They have to make a living, and many people don't have pet insurance, so their charges seem high.  Most Vets would try a diet change before Apoquel.  A dog's itching is a very difficult thing to diagnose.  I wouldn't blame the Vet.

Most Vets chose their profession because they love animals and want to help them.  I do my own research but basically trust my Vet completely.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMG_2356.JPGALWAYS.....  as a protection for her (our Airedale).  She is at the groomer, gets boarded and meets other dogs in the street.  Our vet doesn't give all the shots at once.  We go 2x a year and split them up.  She is very careful about that and stated from the start that she doesn't believe in overloading at once.

Super Contributor

I only do rabies.  I am on my 6th dog and none of the others ever died from anything but old age....