Trusted Contributor

Re: Keepsake boxes for pet ashes

When our cat Miss Spotty Cat died, we had her cremated and her remains sent to us. I couldn't bear the sight of her in a box so we found a place in the garden she was especially fond of and buried her ashes there. I always feel better knowing she's here at home when we can kind of keep an eye on her. That makes no sense, I know, but I feel a lot better knowing she's here at home.

When BooBoo's time comes, we're going to do the same thing for him.

Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace

It does make sense and is very sweet. 

Regular Contributor

In the last 6 months I have had to say good-bye to 2 of my 3 fur children.  They have each taken a piece of my heart.  The most recent was last week.  While my heart is broken in a million pieces, I have found a wonderful pet crematorium.  It is run by a family, I personally brought my children to them for cremation.  They asked me many questions about my babies and then I received a pawprint with their name, clippings of their hair and a lovely box with tassel with their remains.  They offer 2 options- communal cremations or individual.  They are so kind and caring that I have complete trust. The best is that the communal cremations are taken to a farm nearby that will allow him to distribute the ashes in a field with plants, trees and flowers.  In both cases, I brought my babies back home and they will stay with me forever and go wherever I go at the end.

Honored Contributor

@graciesmom1003 wrote:

In the last 6 months I have had to say good-bye to 2 of my 3 fur children.  They have each taken a piece of my heart.  The most recent was last week.  While my heart is broken in a million pieces, I have found a wonderful pet crematorium.  It is run by a family, I personally brought my children to them for cremation.  They asked me many questions about my babies and then I received a pawprint with their name, clippings of their hair and a lovely box with tassel with their remains.  They offer 2 options- communal cremations or individual.  They are so kind and caring that I have complete trust. The best is that the communal cremations are taken to a farm nearby that will allow him to distribute the ashes in a field with plants, trees and flowers.  In both cases, I brought my babies back home and they will stay with me forever and go wherever I go at the end.

@graciesmom1003  I'm so sorry for both of your losses.  I know how hard it is to lose a special pet.  I lost two close together one time a long time ago.  It was unbelievably hard.  It sounds like you found a very special way to remember them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

My family had to say goodbye yesterday to our beloved Husky Bandit.  After many weeks of battling and fighting to treat his illness, then he lost complete use of his hind legs. We knew it was time to make that difficult decision.  We have has to do this twice before and while very heartbreaking for us the process was much more peaceful.  Vet had to give 3 sedatives because Bandit who had been pretty much lathargic for days, tried to raise up even though he could't walk. He was fighting through the end.  It was not peaceful for him.  It makes me question if he was ready. I don.t know how to get this image out of my mind.  My heart is so broken. 

Honored Contributor

@tg-indy wrote:

My family had to say goodbye yesterday to our beloved Husky Bandit.  After many weeks of battling and fighting to treat his illness, then he lost complete use of his hind legs. We knew it was time to make that difficult decision.  We have has to do this twice before and while very heartbreaking for us the process was much more peaceful.  Vet had to give 3 sedatives because Bandit who had been pretty much lathargic for days, tried to raise up even though he could't walk. He was fighting through the end.  It was not peaceful for him.  It makes me question if he was ready. I don.t know how to get this image out of my mind.  My heart is so broken. 

@tg-indy  I'm very sorry for your loss.  I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet.  Don't question your decision.  It sounds like it was definitely time to let him go.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Thank you for your reply.  It is much appreciated.  My head tells me it was the right thing, my heart says another.  I'm sure pet lovers who have gone through this knows what I mean.