Honored Contributor

Re: Keepsake boxes for pet ashes

Just in case anyone is wondering, I did end up ordering both boxes but chose this copper one for her ashes.  It seemed to suit her better.

Image result for creative irish gifts decorative boxes

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

@GingerPeach

I am just curious about cremation of animals. I feel that I am getting close to the time I will have to make a decision about my little dachsund, Mickey. I have deicided that I will have him cremated when that time comes. This may seem like a silly question, but, how do you really know that you get your own dog's ashes? At my vet, for pet owners that do not want the ashes back, they are offer a communal cremation, which is a bit cheaper. I am just wondering if the place that does the creamation really and truly cremates one animal all by itself.   

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @moon_gazer

That is a question from the heart, and troubled me, too.  It's not silly at all.

I think if you trust your vet, then it's highly likely the place they have chosen to send our precious one's remains to would be a reliable place and we should trust them as well.

You may want to ask your vet now who they work with and then you could probably read about that place online.

I send you lots of hugs.  There is hardly a more difficult time for anyone to go through.  It doesn't matter whether it's your first or your forty-first, or any number.

p.s.  The first pet I had cremated I opted for a communal burial and have always regretted I did not ask for the ashes to be returned to me.  I have always done that since for all my dogs and cats and am happy to have them with me "at home."   

Respected Contributor

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Respected Contributor

Sorry to read about your little dog @GingerPeach.  Heart

You made a nice choice...ufff....I get emotional as you know.

I put my 2 babies in urns - ceramic clay... one is earth green/tan and the other is dark earth and earth color...I have their collars over them and paw prints too.... I have a dragonfly dish next to them... oh gosh. I have to end it here for now. 

((I never want to do that ever again....a life time of great loving.))

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

I prefer individual cremation and have done this with all my pets.  I buy special urns for them that don't look like urns.  I have them throughout my house, and only I know what they are.  I love them and feel that's a special way to remember my pets.

My Vet uses another Vet that has a large property where she cremates the deceased pets.  My Vet has been there and seen the process, knows her personally and trusts her completely.  I've had one pet cremated some place else and have always wondered if I really got her ashes back.  I guess we just have to trust our Vet's choice.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my son's Kitty died, he chose this box

66420E4B-5C4F-4734-B951-0D30DB658CDC.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear @qvcfreak

The box is gorgeous, but you should remove the picture.  It has too much personal identification that I doubt you want exposed.

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach, thank you

Honored Contributor

Nice editing, @qvcfreak  Heart