Super Contributor

Just wondering?

[ Edited ]

So now I'm curious.  

We have lots of dog parks ... lots of parks where it is  'dogs on leash only' ... but lots of places where the rule is 'dogs under voice control'.  

Is 'dogs under voice control' fairly uncommon?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just wondering?

[ Edited ]

@juanitalinda wrote:

So now I'm curious.  

We have lots of dog parks ... lots of parks where it is  'dogs on leash only' ... but lots of places where the rule is 'dogs under voice control'.  

Is 'dogs under voice control' fairly uncommon?  

Even in a dog park you must have control of your dog.  If you do not have voice control they need to be leashed.  While I have never seen it posted that way 'dogs under voice control' is a given if not leashed.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Many dog owners don't have the sense of a goose and are clueless as to the meaning of "voice control".  They think they have it until they try to make it work.  Then it's ooops.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I know I don't have reiable voice control over my dogs.  As soon as an interesting deer or bear comes by they are gone, so mine  are always on a leash. 

But I live in an area where there are lots of hunters.  Most of them have really good voice control over their dogs.   I am always impressed. 

Honored Contributor

I have a neighbor who's dog is voice controlled.  He trained the dog using a buzz collar and over time the dog minds his owner no matter what else is going on.  He said it is like any habit... you must refresh the  voice command reaction every so often to keep the dog on track.  I am amazed at how good his dog is.  One word  from him and the dog obeys in an instant.   Just to clarify.... It is not the cruel form of a shock collar.... just a buzzing that they feel, not electric at all.  Works just the same. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have a neighbor who's dog is voice controlled.  He trained the dog using a buzz collar and over time the dog minds his owner no matter what else is going on.  He said it is like any habit... you must refresh the  voice command reaction every so often to keep the dog on track.  I am amazed at how good his dog is.  One word  from him and the dog obeys in an instant.   Just to clarify.... It is not the cruel form of a shock collar.... just a buzzing that they feel, not electric at all.  Works just the same. 

I call them "robot dogs".  That is why they need electrinic devices to control them.  Not anything I would be interested in having.  I like a little personality and spuck in my dogs.  Voice control means coming when called, not controlling his every move. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.