Contributor

Just found out my 8 year-year old Sheltie has cancer

He’s such a wonderful dog, my best friend.  My kids, husband, and I love him with all our hearts.  How will we live without him?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just found out my 8 year-year old Sheltie has cancer

@AbbyK, I am so sorry.  Don't give up on him.  It is a terrible disease that many of us have dealt with, but you may have more years with him than you know.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

Oh AbbyK I am so so sorry that you have received this awful news.  I have lost several pets to lymphoma, 2 in the same age range as your Sheltie and another at 12 YO.

I don't know what type of cancer was diagnosed but there are a number (including lymphoma) that can be treated with steroids if you don't want to go the chemo route.  Two of my cats did have related surgeries for lymphoma but I only took one to chemo after him.  I kind of hated it and never took another lovey for chemo again.  My 12 YO was a Maltese and he did the best of all with the steroids, which I undrstand tends to be the case, dogs faring better than kitties.

Whatever decisions you and your family make will be the right ones because you will be making them out of love.

Sending hugs and prayers your way!!!  HeartHeart

Valued Contributor

@AbbyKI am so sorry to hear your news.  I hope that you can find some form of treatment. 

A friends pup had bone cancer and they removed the leg.  The dog has adapted and is doing very well.

I wil say prayers for your family to find comfort.

I hope you have another furkid to help you through it.

Respected Contributor

prayers up.  i hope there is treatment that gives you more time.  once you recover from the shock and upset, i know you will give him the best care and a huge dose of love.  

Honored Contributor

My dog outlived what the Dr. said. Enjoy the time.

Respected Contributor

Oh Abby,  

I love Shelties and I pray your precious dog will beat the odds.  There are several options for you to take now that you have a firm diagnosis, certainly.   Last month, I lost a pet to cancer, but she was 16....yours still has many good years, so fight the good fight my dear.   We are all here for you, please stay in touch.

Esteemed Contributor

My sister has a dog with the diagnosis.  He's fine after many years, and a new vet believes it is benign.

Keep up the faith.  Yes, enjoy the time you have.

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor

Thank you for such kind words about my dog.  We are somewhat in shock about all this.

He’s home from the animal hospital, resting after eating his dinner.  He seems comfortable lying next to me on my bed.  We just want his remaining days to be pain free and happy.  He does have an older brother (same parents) who will be lost without him too.  What a rotten day!! 

Super Contributor

@AbbyK wrote:

He’s such a wonderful dog, my best friend.  My kids, husband, and I love him with all our hearts.  How will we live without him?

I'm so sorry ... prayers to you and your entire family. Enjoy the time you have left with him and love him enough to let him go when it's time. He'll never really leave you.