Honored Contributor

Just an interesting learning SHARE

Dear Fellow Dog Lover,

Ever heard the expression...

"Where's the beef?"

In case you haven't…

These now famous words came from a legendary Wendy's TV commercial that aired back in the mid 1980s.

As the commercial opens…

We find 3 older ladies staring down at a GIGANTIC hamburger bun.

A bun containing only a teeny-tiny hamburger.

And one of the ladies is angrily complaining…

"Where's the beef?"

Now, I know what you're thinking.

What's this got to do with dog food?

Unfortunately…

A lot more than you think.

That's because…

Many dog foods contain a LOT LESS MEAT than their packaging and advertising want you to believe.

And if you're like most dog parents...

You're probably already know that.

But…

What you may NOT know is…

The words used to NAME every pet food are regulated by Federal Law.

Which is WHY I want to warn you about a little-known FDA labeling regulation known as...

"The With Rule"

Understanding the "With Rule" can help you avoid buying an inferior, meat-deficient dog food.

To illustrate how this rule works…

Take a look at the following dog food names:  
  • Beef Dog Food 
  • Dog Food with Beef
They look pretty much the same.

Don't they? 

But trust me. They're not.

They're WAY different.

That's because by Law… 

A recipe that's called “Beef Dog Food” must contain at least 95% beef.

But…

A recipe that places the word "with" in front of the main ingredient in its name... like "Dog Food with Beef"...

Is subject to a special naming regulation known as "The With Rule".

A rule that allows the beef ingredient to make up just 3% of the food's total pre-cooking weight.

Bottom line…

The product called "Beef Dog Food" contains a whopping 30 times more beef than the one named "Dog Food with Beef".

And if that's not shocking enough

Wait until you hear about "The Flavor Rule".

The Flavor Rule allows a recipe to include the words fish, lamb, chicken… or just about any other protein in its name… 

Even if there's only a trace of that ingredient in the food.

And...

It's all completely legal.

As long as the word “flavor” is included in the name of the food.

So...

What are the chances "Prime Rib Flavor Dog Food" actually contains ANY prime beef?

Probably zero.

Crazy, huh?

So, the next time you're shopping for dog food…

Don't forget to watch out for the words "with" or "flavor" included in the name of the recipe.

Or in the marketing.

Because they can help reveal a LOT about what's inside the package.

And that way you won't be wondering...

Where's the beef?
Trusted Contributor

Re: Just an interesting learning SHARE

[ Edited ]

I got quite an education in cat food last year when I adopted a senior cat who turned out to be allergic to chicken and turkey. Once I had to read labels, I realized how much stuff is in cat food no matter what "flavor" is listed on the label! So, I did not mean to hijack your thread. I just wanted to add that pet food labels overall are quite interesting. 

Honored Contributor

@KailaS wrote:

I got quite an education in cat food last year when I adopted a senior cat who turned out to be allergic to chicken and turkey. Once I had to read labels, I realized how much stuff is in cat food no matter what "flavor" is listed on the label! So, I did not mean to hijack your thread. I just wanted to add that pet food labels overall are quite interesting. 

@KailaS @You are welcome to share!❤️❤️❤️

Respected Contributor

First:   I am old enough to remember the "where's the beef"  commercial and grew to hate it because it was on all the time and people used that expression for everything!..Thanks for the info.  I read labels but didn't know those "rules".  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

I really don't trust dog food any more.  I feed our Golden REAL FOOD, cooked.  I buy in bulk, cook it and freeze in 32 oz. containers.  I feed her beef or turkey, quinoa and vegetables, mostly green.  I have found that feeding her real food also keeps her weight down.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

My mon always fed our dogs real food.  Chuck roast and chickn with green beans, carrots and I'm not sure what else was in it

I feed our dog Bil Jac dry food, mixed with canned food and then give him cooked chicken.  He sure loves his chicken. We buy large packs of chicken breasts and boil it for him.

Trusted Contributor

@KailaS     Just wanted to say thank you for adopting a senior kitty!  Alot of times they are overlooked at shelters, so thank you for giving your cat a furever home!