Respected Contributor

@beastielove wrote:

I'd like to suggest The Pet Chat Corner thread as a great place to post your questions. This thread has been around for years and is troll free! Hope to see you there!

------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

I didn't even know there was a thread called "Pet Chat Corner"

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Just adopted

[ Edited ]

SO thrilled for you both!!

Congratulations, and may you two have many happy & healthy years together.

HeartHeart

Super Contributor

Peanut and I took a quick walk as it is hot out and we were back in about 12 minutes and now he is asleep again.  Do your dogs sleep a lot? 

Also, when I went to fold laundry this afternoon he went under the bed.   What about that, is that normal?

Thanks,

Bookbabe

Respected Contributor

Dachshunds love to burrow under blankets to sleep. One of mine will even cover up the other one. Dachshunds also are good chair sitting buddies .

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

@Bookbabe, congratulations on the adoption!   Isnt it amazing how many wonderful dogs end up in shelters?  We've adopted so many from shelters,too. Sweet sweet personalities and house trained. People...go figure.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I adopted my first pet at age 60.  Cooper is a mix/mutt with some terrier.  He was horribly neglected and abused for the first 2 years of his life.  He didn't even know how to eat or drink from a bowl.  He has come so far but will never be a totally normal dog.  I've had him 2.5 years now and he is my little man.  Nothing is better than coming home from work and seeing him jumping up and down because he's so happy to see me.

Tips.  You do not need to spend a lot to keep him clean and happy.  Find a simple, inexpensive shampoo and conditioner.   I don't use conditioner unless he is scratching though.   I trim his nails and give him baths most of the time.   This coming week, he'll get a bath and nail trim by a groomer.   I can't afford it all the time.   My vet recommended a certain brand of dog food which is sold everywhere.   Keep treats simple.   

There might be a Petco or Petsmart in your area.  I have found their products are usually cheaper on their websites.  This week, I ordered a few things that were 40% less on their own websites than in their stores.

Respected Contributor

@Bookbabe wrote:

Peanut and I took a quick walk as it is hot out and we were back in about 12 minutes and now he is asleep again.  Do your dogs sleep a lot? 

Also, when I went to fold laundry this afternoon he went under the bed.   What about that, is that normal?

Thanks,

Bookbabe

Congratulations on your adopting Peanut!

Wishing you many happy years with him.

Dogs sleep a lot!

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

Dachshunds love to burrow under blankets to sleep. One of mine will even cover up the other one. Dachshunds also are good chair sitting buddies .

doxie

Yes, Peanut burrows under the sheet every night and sleeps under all night. 

Thank you all who wrote such great comments about my first dog.  I love him and he is such company.  I am happy to say his cough and paws are all better and he is very healthy and has even gained 1/2 lb. 

I look forward to many years with him.

Bookbabe

Valued Contributor

Pure Joy.