Esteemed Contributor

About mid-morning the sidewalks were 184* today.  They are now over 200*.  Yes, someone in town is actually measuring the sidewalk temperature!

Just want to mention you might want to hose down sidewalk, steps, anything that retains the heat to protect your furbabies' paws.

Eddy loves the hose so it becomes a game!  (And, I get almost as wet as he does.Woman LOL)

Honored Contributor

A sign in my vets office.....

"If you can fry an egg on a sidewalk, it's too hot for your pets" Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme @Mz iMac , I think of this all the time.  We live on a lake and swim every day.  My Lab loves it.  The driveway is paved so I take her in the house the shortest way possible on pavement because it is so hot. 

We are in real heat here today and tomorrow.  High 90’s which is hot for Nova Scotia.  We have been in the lake four times today.  LM

Honored Contributor

Someone posted recently (I think on this forum) that if the sidewalk is too hot to place your hand flatly on it then it's too hot for your dog.  This is a good reminder.  It's hot here too!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I don't believe that would help because it's so hot the water evaporates in a minute and the pavement does not cool down until night.  They do sell pet booties that protect their feet from hot pavenment and also the run off of chemicals that people put on their lawns and to melt ice on walkways.  We had them for our dog after he had an infected paw.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't believe that would help because it's so hot the water evaporates in a minute and the pavement does not cool down until night.  They do sell pet booties that protect their feet from hot pavenment and also the run off of chemicals that people put on their lawns and to melt ice on walkways.  We had them for our dog after he had an infected paw.  

You're lucky your dog will wear them.  I've given up on the booties!  I do saturate the area with cold, well-water, and it stays wet 'cause we play with the sprayer - I might not look beautiful after getting a soaking, but we both have fun - except he doesn't want to come in!Woman LOL  Thanx!

Respected Contributor

I make sure to REMIND my neighbors to walk their pets in early morning on the shaded side of the street BC they are idiots and need reminding.