Honored Contributor

Just Ordered an Embark Dog DNA test Kit

[ Edited ]

For my rescue dog Nigrita. I ordered one back  a few years for my Golden/ poodle  named ZaZu  after adopting him as at the time I had no clue what his Mix was...   I thought he was golden and Irish setter...  and was so surprised  to find out he was a first generation Golden doodle... looking more golden than poodle. I never would have guessed Poodle!

Nigrita is a Mexican "mutt" dog.... so probably has many different genetic dna in her.  This kit is more expensive than most, but, gives you more variants  and better chance for finding out everything about the dog. It includes health issue too.

Once I get the results, I will  let you know  what they are.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Just Ordered an Embrace Dog DNA test Kit

@SeaMaiden That's funny.  I used Wisdom Panel for my mutt Ozzy.  He was 18 at the time and even the vet wanted to know what he was before he possibly could pass.  The vet offered to do the test and send it in the staff was so curious (he was an odd looking dude lol).  At first glance you would have said terrier for sure but like your dog, that was a big NOPE.  None in his DNA.  I will say his mom had an active social life for sure lol.  Turned out the fuzzy dude was Chow Chow, Miniature Poodle, German Shepherd, Shih Tzu, American Eskimo and Cocker Spaniel.  He was all black with like 3 different coats (very poofy).  Smart, grumpy, funny, protective weird, and no matter what always my dog.  We had him for 20 years and we figured he had to have been at least a year old when we got him.  So he lived a very long active life.  He always weighed between 23-27 pounds.  He was the most unique dog I have ever had the pleasure of being the human for.  He passed Nov 30, 2019.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him and smile.  

Honored Contributor

That is interesting. Look forward to hearing what information you find with the new test.

A local rescue group is getting about 10 dogs from Russia in 3 days. The pictures are cute as can be. But I wonder what mix they are.

They must be a hardy lot because the dogs were all picked up off the streets in Russia and in winter. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   I think you mean Embark DNA kit.  I searched for Embrace and found Embark instead.  There's an Embrace pet insurance.

I know Ava is a French Bulldog, but I've been very tempted to do that DNA test for the health side of it.  I would want to call and speak with someone first.  It may just give you the possible health conditions for your breed, which I already know.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@SeaMaiden   I think you mean Embark DNA kit.  I searched for Embrace and found Embark instead.  There's an Embrace pet insurance.

I know Ava is a French Bulldog, but I've been very tempted to do that DNA test for the health side of it.  I would want to call and speak with someone first.  It may just give you the possible health conditions for your breed, which I already know.

@NickNack   YES!!!!! Embark!  Thanks for the correction!

Esteemed Contributor

@eadu4 @eadu4   I don't even know what I am.  Does kit work for people?  LOL

Your 2 postings are the funniest ever.  How can the kit break down so many over-lapping personalities and traits?

I'll be interested in the results but....eadu4's dog takes the cake.

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt  Let me state for the record, Ozzy was a legend.  And boy could he jump!  I do wish I had trained him to play frisbee when he was younger.  He was truly fast and could jump so high.  I had people tell me "oh he's cute" also had people say "he's really different" lol.  If he got out I'd have to get in the Jeep and ride up and down the street with the windows down yelling "Ozzy, come on, you want to ride in the Jeep?"  And sure enough he'd come running for a ride every time!.  But fact was he was not really "friendly" he had a very anti social side and I know had he been surrendered to a shelter, he would have been put down.  But we appreciated his ability to pretty much keep anyone he didn't like away from the door.  He destroyed over 6 sets of window blinds going bat crazy at the window of someone who dared to ring "his" doorbell lol.  And yet my "fearless" defender I took once into a Petsmart pooed the whole way down an aisle he was so terrified.  Yeah he was brave as heck in his castle but take him out and he would throw me in front of him lol. Until he got to the end of his life he never had an accident in the house.  Matter of fact never even used the pads I had to put down for my husband's MinPin.  He chose to go outside like a big boy.  Loved that fuzz butt.  His genetics served him well for a long and pretty much healthy life.   And in the end, I know he will be there waiting for me and God knows I better be hauling treats in my pocket!