Super Contributor

Re: Just Back From Vet - I Am So Saddened And Shocked

@fourpaws56 wrote:

@moon_gazer  been thinking about you and your beautiful boy...any news?

@fourpaws56

Thanks for your heartfelt concern.

Nothing yet. He has felt better today, though. With the pain meds and the steriod that has reduced some of the swelling, he is more comfortable and has been more like his usual happy self.  Also, he has wanted to eat today. I will come back with update when I know.  

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

Thinking of you ,and your handsome boy.Heart

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

The candle is still glowing.  I am waiting impatiently for positive news...  "We Can Fix This!"Heart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

@moon_gazer  thank you for the update,so glad he is feeling better and eating. I truly am praying for you and you furbaby.

Respected Contributor

@moon_gazer  How is your beautiful boy today? I have been keeping you close in prayers for a positive outcome. I sincerely care about you and your precious furbaby....give him a hug from me!

Super Contributor

I am heartbroken.The news was not good today. My big boy Toby does have cancer. The pathlogist report said that there were a lot of neoplastic cells in the sample and it is most likely not lymphoma, but a metastatic tumor. So the primary tumor isn't the lump on his neck/shoulder area, but  is probably a melanoma in the mouth area. I was not even aware a dog could get a melanoma, but, vet said it is not from sun exposure -- just sometimes happens with age in labs and retrievers. 

I still cannot believe that was not found last month during his exam.

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

I am heartbroken.The news was not good today. My big boy Toby does have cancer. The pathlogist report said that there were a lot of neoplastic cells in the sample and it is most likely not lymphoma, but a metastatic tumor. So the primary tumor isn't the lump on his neck/shoulder area, but  is probably a melanoma in the mouth area. I was not even aware a dog could get a melanoma, but, vet said it is not from sun exposure -- just sometimes happens with age in labs and retrievers. 

I am sorry to hear it was bad news.

Unfortunately dogs cannot tell us when things are not right so issues can be addressed quickly.  Has the vet come back with a treatment plan?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer, Sorry to hear that beautiful boy has cancer.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

@moon_gazer, I'm so sorry that Toby has cancer.  You and Toby are in my thoughts and prayers. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer

I'm sorry your handsome boy Toby has cancer.  Once I had a cat who suddenly just would lay down after walking across the room. We rushed him in, they couldn't find anything after running a slew of diagnostics.  Not much later, an ultrasound showed he was in congestive heart failure.  It's not for us to understand; it's the nature of disease.

That being said, do what you've always done:  care for your beloved pup with the help of your vet.  I've read studies that show that single most important factor in a dog or cat with terminal illness is the TLC  their pet parent lavishes on them.  And the way you talk about Toby -- well, you've got that covered.

My kitty was supposed to live less than a week.  He made it nearly 3 years.

Many prayers for Toby and your whole family.  Stay strong, Pup Mama! Heart