Esteemed Contributor

I originally posted this a couple of years ago.  It seems a good time to post it again as a reminder of all Vet Techs do and how painful their job sometimes is.

A "behind the scenes look" that applies to many professions that are sorely unappreciated or at least under appreciated:

from http://www.drandyroark.com/shes-just-a-vet-tech/

She’s Just A Vet Tech

By: Britney Greene

JUST a Vet Tech greeted you at the door with a smiling face, even though we’ve been running around for 11 hours straight. Your pet was assessed by JUST a Vet Tech and, when we noticed he wasn’t stable, JUST a Vet Tech carried your 70 plus pound dog to the back and screamed for a doctor.

Once the doctor assessed your pet, JUST a Vet Tech placed the IV catheter and started to bolus fluids. JUST a Vet Tech got a blood pressure on your pet today and administered medications because his blood pressure was low. JUST a Vet Tech drew blood and ensured it got run as quickly as possible. JUST a Vet Tech wrestled your dog to get x-rays today, with the help of an assistant. When we found that your pet needed surgery, JUST a Vet Tech made certain he was stable throughout the procedure. When your pet left the surgery suite, JUST a Vet Tech sat with him to make sure he recovered with no problems.

JUST a Vet Tech got vitals on your pet every couple of hours today and reported all issues to the doctor on duty. JUST a Vet Tech noticed your pet was painful and asked the doctor to administer more pain medications. JUST a Vet Tech sat with your pet today and gave him love while you were at work. JUST a Vet Tech told your pet that he wasn’t there forever, only until he got better. JUST a Vet Tech promised your pet you’d be back for him.

Just a Vet Tech took your dog outside for a walk today. When we realized he was cramped up in that cage and his legs were stiff, JUST a Vet Tech walked your pet around the building at his pace to ensure he got proper exercise. Your pet got a lot of fluids today and couldn’t control his bladder. He’s still so weak. JUST a Vet Tech checked and changed his bedding so he didn’t have to lay in his urine. JUST a Vet Tech administered all your pets medications today.

Your pet was scared (this is a new place with new people), and he was fearfully trying to bite me. JUST a Vet Tech took the time and did everything possible to show him that we weren’t going to hurt him. He accidentally wiped his stool on me when he sat in my lap today. It happens after surgery. But, that’s okay, he didn’t mean it. JUST a Vet Tech cleaned him up nice for you.

I’m so sorry to tell you, your pet had a rough night last night. He took a turn for the worse. You’re letting your pet go today. JUST a Vet Tech understands how hurt you are, and brought you tissues. You were too upset to see your dog leave the world today. JUST a Vet Tech hugged and loved him as he crossed the bridge today. JUST a Vet Tech went home emotionally drained because all the hard work didn’t pay off today. JUST a Vet Tech will do it again tomorrow.

Remember this the next time you call someone JUST a Vet Tech. We are JUST an important part of your pet’s care. And we care about your pet.

Sincerely,
JUST a Vet Tech

Britney Greene is a full-time veterinary technician at a Pet Emergency Hospital in Maryland, and she absolutely enjoys her job. In her spare time, Britney has two children and is pursuing her Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology.
The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Frequent Contributor

Dear Britney and ALL the Vet Techs reading this, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all that you do.  You're truly a blessing to the animals and their owners.  God bless you.  I'm praying the Lord will give you the strength and emotional courage to continue what you're doing for many years.  Where would any of us (pet owners) be without you?  

Cindy from So Cal

Mom to 11 pets  & counting : )

Contributor

My daughter is JUST a Vet Tech too.  When my son-in-law was an active duty Marine she worked at the Camp Pendleton Veterinary Treatment center in California.  She not only took care of military personnel family pets but she helped with all the paperwork and vaccinations needed when Marines and their families were being stationed overseas.

AND she assisted in preparing K-9 dogs for deployment overseas and their care when they returned.

I don't know how she does it when it's time for one of her patients to cross over the rainbow bridge.  She cries along with the owners.  She even assisted with an in-home euthanization this weekend.

I am so very proud of my JUST a Vet Tech daughter.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you to all the Just a Vet Techs. I volunteered at an animal hospital for 3 years. I was the first one in and I cleaned cages and socialized animals for adoption. It was a very rewarding, exhausting and emotional experience. 

Honored Contributor

The word "just" doesn't belong with the other two words there.  These people are caregivers, life savers, comforters and loving.  Ours are as important as is our Vets.  They have so much compassion to do this, they are like walking hearts, in people bodies.  The word "just" doesn't belong with Vet Tech. Wear that label proud. We trust all you pet vets with our tender hearts of love in our animals and I believe they know this.

Honored Contributor

Heart

Trusted Contributor

Wonderful description of a vet tech's job.  My DD begins her first job as a veterinarian today.  Before she attended vet school she worked as a vet tech, and before that she was a vet assistant, and before that she worked in the vet's boarding kennel.  You could say that she worked her way up the ladder.  It's good to learn any business from the bottom up.

Thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

Re: Just A Vet Tech

[ Edited ]

I've had amazing vet techs and I've had awful vet techs. same is true with with actual Vets- I've had some amazing ones and some awful ones. 

Respected Contributor

Insert Applause Here!  Thanks for the post @Marp