Trusted Contributor

Heartbreaking but the animal kingdom can be tough. The person feeding them should put out a separate plate for the orange cat.  When I had more than one cat, there was always an alpha and the rest would defer.  My Jasper was the most gentle cat I've ever had and yet when I got Penelope he bullied her.  She so wanted to be his friend but nope, he wasn't having any of it.  When it was time to eat, Jasper ate first even if food was put down for both of cats.  At first, I tried to reprimand him, but it didn't do any good.  He did his cat thing and Penelope waited for him to finish his meal.  Then she'd go in for hers.  These two cats were treated like royalty and never, ever wanted for anything, but they had their own rules that had nothing to do with me.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just A Cat Thing

[ Edited ]

There is nothing funny about this photo. These cats are eating on a concrete sidewalk by a car and someone who knows nothing about cats threw food on to a dirty sidewalk. At least put it in 2 cheap plastic bowls so they both get food.

The bigger cat is likely a senior and likely not capable of pushing the smaller cat aside. This cat may be a discarded cat who has no front claws to defend itself.

The loving thing to do is get on the phone to a rescue/SPCA, etc., to report their existence. But most people won't do that for a cat. Shamefully.

Once on this board, someone wrote to me that cats can survive on their own outside with no owners because they had claws. Really?  This lady had a Yorkie. Yorkies have claws. Can they defend themselves as a result?

It irks me that there is so much misunderstanding about cats. Science has proven they live healthier, longer lives living indoors. And when people moan about them being "destructive" because they really want to be outside?  How about this--PLAY WITH THEM. Enrich their lives. They are no more to be dumped and ignored than anyone would do to a dog.

And, yes, I'm a cat AND dog parent.

Honored Contributor

Can't remember the term for this .... is it "food aggressive" ... or something like that?

Respected Contributor
That's such a sad photo. I agree that they should be fed separately so that neither one feels the need to guard one serving. Poor things.

What worries you masters you.
Contributor

This just breaks my heart. Poor kitties. They both need rescuing ASAP.

Respected Contributor

Re: Just A Cat Thing

[ Edited ]

So I've been thinking about this picture.  It really is sad - I feel terrible for that orange kitty.  Both probably starving - so I'm sad for both of them. .  However ..... we really don't know anything about what's going on.  Someone took this video.  We don't know what happened afterwards.  Or before.  Maybe someone just saw these cats for the first time, happened to have some food in their car and put on the ground the little bit they had.  What happened after the video? - did they immidately break up that situation with that one cat having the other cat in a hold?  Did they come back another time with more food and plates with separate feeding areas?  Did they arrange for more food and a trap?  I'd like to think something good happened after this.

I had an idea to google search the picture - thought maybe I could find more to the story, but it didn't come up with anything - found no matching images  Oh well.

Respected Contributor

Wish they had spread out the food.

I'm thinking little torbie cat, young as she looks, is pregnant and nobody is going to get between her and that food.