Honored Contributor

Just A Cat Thing

[ Edited ]

They may be strays being fed by some kind person, but I want to point out what cats do in this case and how they react. It's not meant to be funny.

The one cat, appearing to be quite young, was pushing the larger orange cat away from the food. The orange cat was allowing that cat to do that.

The larger orange cat could have easily overtaken the smaller cat.  

I don't know a lot about cat behavior, but this appears very odd to me.  

Honored Contributor

Oh gosh, both of those cats look like they're starving.  The orange one looks a bit beat up.  I hope they're okay and not strays.

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee  It is a funny picture Smiley Happy  However ......

@Venezia it's a very cute picture but now that you mention it I do see what you see.  I used to feed a bunch on strays in my neighborhood (it did take a while, but they were all trapped, neutered, etc.) but my cat gilbert, who I later adopted from the pack, was bullied by everyone there.  They wouldn't let him eat!  They kept pushing him away, making him stand back. I was so heartbroken to see it and how kind he was about it all so I brought him his own plate - he was over the moon happy and grateful.  Loved that little guy so much.

Respected Contributor

So very, very sad to see.  They look like they are starving, and desperate to eat.

We once found a starving kitten and he would eat nonstop, even after he had been settled into our home.  He became a little fat, so we tried to ration his food, and then he would run and eat the dogs' food!

The vet said that due to his starvation experience as a baby, his instinct was to gobble down food as soon as he saw it, in case he would not have another meal for awhile.

I have four diva Persian cats, each with her own bowl, and if one does not like the flavor of the soft food I am serving, she will sniff it in disgust and walk away. 

I hope these poor creatures can be rescued soon, and find a good home.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee - Thank you for alerting us to this. I can say cats do have a pecking order at mealtime, and it's not always the one you expect who gets to eat first. 

When a newer cat joins the group the order might be rearranged. Who knows why it happens this way? It's their decision. 

I have seen larger cats cower in fear from smaller ones. So even though it looks to us that bigger kitty could just push little kitty out of the way, he/she may be afraid to do this.

The most important thing is to make sure ALL of them get to eat. In the picture it seems like little kitty is preventing bigger kitty from doing this, and that is not good. Bigger kitty might already know who gets to eat first! And if little kitty eats all of that food he/she won't be "little" kitty much longer! 

I hope whoever is feeding them sticks around to make sure they are ALL fed and loved equally! 

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

They may be strays being fed by some kind person, but I want to point out what cats do in this case and how they react. It's not meant to be funny.

The one cat, appearing to be quite young, was pushing the larger orange cat away from the food. The orange cat was allowing that cat to do that.

@Foxxee Did you add your comments later?  Did I just look at the picture and not see what your wrote?  feel a bit crazy right now.  Umm, anyway, do you know anything more about the picture?  I wonder where it's from?

It is def. true that kitties can be bullies and has nothing to do with their size or age.  It's just their nature, as others are recessesive or polite, or kind, or patient.  It could be the orange cat is used to not being treated well.  Poor thing.  I love kitties, but I hate to see selfishness in anyone/anything.  There is def. enough food for both.

Honored Contributor

I would think they have to be strays that someone is trying to feed.  No one would feed her/his own cats this way - with the food put down on the pavement by a car.  Maybe someone is trying to gradually coax them closer to be captured.

The smaller one has its claws hooked into the orange cat's fur right above the eye, so that's likely why the larger cat isn't trying to move.  But without knowing more than this one shot, it's hard to tell the dynamics.

It's even possible given the coloring and the size difference that the smaller one it the orange cat's kitten.  It's definitely younger and in better condition.

The orange kitty seems to have had a rough life so far.  (Look at its left ear and condition of its coat.)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just A Cat Thing

[ Edited ]

A bit off topic, but interesting.

After I fell in love with kitty Winston’s picture on a shelter website, I was told he really didn’t seem interested in leaving the shelter.  It seems anyone who came to see him was ignored, even a lady who brought him poached chicken.

Fast forward to our visit.  DH and I sat on the floor of the room that Winston was in, which was shared by a few other kitties in the shelter.  He immediately came up to DH and kissed him, then kissed me.  At that point, another kitty started to come over, but Winston chased the kitty away.

Needless to say, Winston chose us.  And we fell in love with him.  We are up in years, but never would have adopted him without promises from a few responsible people that they would give him a good home if we no longer could not.

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@Foxxee Did you add your comments later?  Did I just look at the picture and not see what your wrote?  feel a bit crazy right now.  Umm, anyway, do you know anything more about the picture?  I wonder where it's from?

It is def. true that kitties can be bullies and has nothing to do with their size or age.  It's just their nature, as others are recessesive or polite, or kind, or patient.  It could be the orange cat is used to not being treated well.  Poor thing.  I love kitties, but I hate to see selfishness in anyone/anything.  There is def. enough food for both.

@moonandthestars 

Yes, I did add comments later mainly because of what a few members were saying, so I clarified the reason why I posted it.  

Trusted Contributor

So sad to see that, but yes it happens often when they are out fending for themselves. But I have had it happen in our home as well. It sometimes takes a while for kitty to realize that there is more food available. I hope both those babies find a full bowl in a safe and warm environment.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)